Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dark Vision: Chapter 26: Leapfrog

Post Dark Vision: Chapter 26: Leapfrog

As you guys were kind enough to answer my challenge of picking locations for the next chapter in my scifi serial, "Dark Vision," I have promised to present the chapter to you. It's a bare WIP now, and I hope to have it finished in time to print in the July-August issue of Wayfarer, which, of course, is where the thing has been running. Whether I can finish it in time, or maybe finish half now half later, who knows?

Remember, your chosen locations were:
    1. Titan (a moon of Saturn)
    2. Rings of Saturn
    3. Io (a moon of Joviter)
    4. Ceres (in the Asteroid Belt)
    5. Mars

It's taken me over 2,000 words so far just to get the heroine out of Venus orbit and across the Solar System to Titan. But she's there! Woohoo! And as a teaser, what could be better than a MAP OF TITAN!? No, I didn't make it. I found it at http://planetarynames.wr.usgs.gov/im...boundaries.pdf ... innit wonderful? (I think so!)

(edit) And another: http://planetarynames.wr.usgs.gov/images/Titan_comp.pdf ... wonderful!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NP_lakes_low_noboundaries.pdf  
    Last edited by töff; 07-26-2008 at 07:52 PM.

The Lagoons of Titan: Oily Liquid Confirmed on Saturn Moon

http://blog.wired.com/wiredscience/2...f-petrole.html

This is gonna be five separate chapters. I cannot cram it all into one chapter.

First up (duh): Leapfrog, Chapter 26: Part One: Titan!

PRODUCTION SCHEDULE

So, if I make this five chapters ... which Imma do, because it lets me visit each location in more detail, and gives me more time to write each one ... and it also gives me time to finish the Solar System map as an insert in one issue!

Wayfarer
    prints every 2 months, so this will be a 10-month project. Worst-case, I ship at the end of the cover date. Like, it's August now, meaning I have to get the July-August 2008 issue finished and printed and shipped this month, with the Titan chapter in it. So ...

Code:
    Chap.26  1. Titan              Jul-Aug  Wayfarer #31
    Chap.27  2. Rings of Saturn    Sep-Oct  Wayfarer #32
    Chap.28  3. Io                 Nov-Dec  Wayfarer #33
    Chap.29  4. Ceres              Jan-Feb  Wayfarer #34
    Chap.30  5. Mars               Mar-Apr  Wayfarer #35 <-- incl. Solar System Map!
    Things might move faster. I might have the map in an earlier issue, and I might include 2 chapters in an issue. (The unthinkable "even worse than worst case" is, I skip an issue. It happens!)

So, the latest you will see the final Solar System map is the end of April. But I will keep posting the WIPs in that thread, as I go.

Damn the torpedos! ...

Ebony has infiltrated the bad guys' lair on Titan!

I have almost reached the end of the chapter. Then, revisions, edits ... then done.

Then ... the Rings Of Saturn ...

I have reached the end of the chapter! 18,756 words. They always tend to grow in revision. I'll post it when it's done.

I am poised for the rings of Saturn, now. That'll be Chapter 27. It will be a lot smaller, because there's so much less for a character to experience in the rings than on the surface of a planet or moon. Perhaps the Ceres one, too, will be shorter. As far as natural siteseeing, the rings (as beautiful as they are) and Ceres offer not a lot of variation in detail. -- They're still great choices for the story, though.

I am also eager to get back to the Solar System map, but ... work first, then play, right?

Do you really think so? I think that the rings are a great place for all sorts of fun things to happen. At the macro level, they are seemingly pretty standard and seemingly static, but at the micro level, there could be an infinite variety of possibilities. Just my two cents...

I'll try to do some justice to the rings.

Meanwhile ... I can't believe this! ... I have to bump the Titan chapter to the next issue! I ran way over page count, and Dark Vision, because it has both the Forepart and the Titan part, is the only fair candidate to split & bump.

Maybe I will make each chapter available in advance, eh? as a Carguil exclusive!

Criminy, if it ain't one thing it's another.

"Forepart" and "Part One: Titan" for your amusement when there's nothing better to do but read weird scifi.

http://www.arcticcoconut.com/wayfare...nd_Moqueur.pdf

http://www.arcticcoconut.com/wayfare..._One_Titan.pdf

I hope to do Titan as a cover illustration for Wayfarer 32.

Oops, anybody catch the error on the last page of Chap 27?

There's a HAMOPS button in it for the first person who can figure it out ... if anybody.

Hint: you have to read Chap 26 *or* Moqueur's profile to get it.

No, I didn't do it on purpose. But why not have fun with it?
    Last edited by töff; 09-06-2008 at 07:26 PM.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast