Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Image Resolution & Printing

Most maps I print in my digital print shop are on photo paper and sometimes laminated. I also print to canvas in sizes up to 42" x 10 feet or more (though that would be quite expensive). I can color laser print to heat transfer paper then can apply that print onto fabric and other kinds of media, however I am limited to the size of my heat press - which in my case is 11" x 15". It is impractical attempting to line-up multiple 11" x 15" rectangles into a larger area with heat transfer. It is nearly impossible to perfectly align, so if a given map doesn't fit in 11" x 15" - I can't do anything about it. So its kind of impractical. Printing to most other kinds of oddball media might be instances of 'coolness', but again, almost always expensive and thus impractical for a means to print all your maps. These are my impressions.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Guild Journeyer

Hello:

I have printed on canvas from both a laser printer and ink jet. I have also used a variety of different papers including metal paper. Once you get the hang of it and learn what not to print on and what paper to use per project it can work out great. I spent a year working on different papers for printing game books and maps, to see what we could bring to the market. It was a lot of money and time for some great results in the end. The various parchment papers add a nice touch to medieval / medieval fantasy games and maps.

You do need to be careful. Here is an example.
    We had a request for a client that wanted the maps on magnetic paper to allow her to place the maps and images on a metal wall at her gaming club. That was an adventure. I had to inform the CFO that we needed to purchase a new laser printer for the the current one (under 6 weeks old) was still burning. That was years ago. The paper was not designed for laser printers and did not state on the package that would should not use it in a laser printer. Do your research.

Metal papers I have not found a real use for them in our printing. I would like to.
    Canvas paper works for artwork. Make sure you have the settings correct, especially if you use the heavy canvas paper.
    Commercially available parchment papers are great and print like standard 20 lbs paper.

I hope this has helped.

Tracker

I run Gamer Printshop, and I print maps for RPG gamers and publishers. 99% of the map printing jobs go to Kodak photo paper and nothing else. I have printed heat transfer prints and inkjet to canvas printing, but as stated that is roughly 1% of the work I do.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12