Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My First Attempt at a Hand-Drawn Map. Need Feedback!

Default My First Attempt at a Hand-Drawn Map. Need Feedback!

So I really love hand drawn maps, but I sadly don't have the skills to create something on the caliber like what I've been seeing on this site so far. Regardless, I've started messing around with drawing a map and writing a history for the land. Let me know what you guys think! Any and all feedback is welcome!

Wow that is really clean. It looks like it will be fantastic when finished, very nice start.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Llannagh's Avatar

First: this is already a very good start and not at all without skill,
    Second: how do you know you don't have the skills? This forum is a treasure trove of information and the people here are all very, very helpful. If you start a WIP thread and post a question about something, e.g. how to draw X, most likely somone will help you. All you need is a little patience.

I agree with Falconius, it's very clean and readable. I'll be looking forward to seeing you finish this! If you have any questions, again, don't hesitate to ask.

I saw this an immediately thought lord of the rings. I like the bold lines in this makes it very readable. All these people doing hand drawn maps is quite inspiring. Thank you for sharing this

I like your crisp lines, and the red creates great contrast. What materials are you using?

I've always thought maps like this are especially charming and wonderful for the clean line-work, hand lettered text that just feels right somehow, and being able to happily spend lots of time looking at all of the details. Maps like this remind me of the best storybook adventures I've always loved. Thanks for sharing this, Redleg! I look forward to seeing it when it's all done.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

So far I think you have a wonderful and engaging map. I will certainly check back to see your progress.
    Don't sell yourself short. There are many styles of mapping and not all flashy styles convey feeling and story.
    I would also like to read your history for it once you have completed it.
    I see nothing at fault in your work. Keep at it.

Good looking, clearly communicative, with its own little style. Very nice - indeed; keep it up!

Oh, and even if it wasn't a promising start, I'd give you a smidgen of rep just for starting with substantive content - thank you, and welcome to the Guild!

Feedback? Other than that I don't see anything outright wrong, I'd ask if you've considered bringing the upstream ends of the rivers to a point? I've seen more roads dead-ending the way you show than rivers starting abruptly full-width/ open-ended. But when you get all the double-line borders inked in with red fill, the rivers will stand apart better - maybe you don't need to change a thing.
    Last edited by jbgibson; 10-19-2014 at 01:23 AM.

Nice. Look forward to seeing the finished product.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Llannagh's Avatar

I also just noticed your labeling. That's a really nice "font"!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast