Thread: Looking for help importing a FT3 file into Wilbur

Tutorial Looking for help importing a FT3 file into Wilbur

Hi fellow cartographers. I am trying to take a map from fractal terrains 3 and then import it into Wilbur so that I can add erosion, incise flow etc.

I have experience moving GIMP files into Wilbur, making changes in Wilbur, and then exporting as height map back into GIMP. No problem. Done that many times.

But I can't seem to get Wilbur to properly accept a file from FT3.
    For some reason, whenever I save my FT3 file as a special .mdr file (following the Genesis of Israh tutorial), the map I end up with in Wilbur is flat and green, and not the classic look. See the image below.

If anyone can help me properly convert a map from FT3 into Wilbur so I can use the program normally, I would appreciate it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WilburExample1.png 
Views:	50 
Size:	452.5 KB 
ID:	112652

https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...ad.php?t=29412 under "There and Back Again" (about post number three) may be of help to you.

Most likely you left out the "flip vertical" stage.

Thanks for the advice, but in the There and Back Again image, you can clearly see the three dimensionality of that map. The ridges and roughness appear in Wilbur when the MDR file is first brought over. Why is my file a flat green nothing, with no features, or ridges?

Try using Window>>Histogram in Wilbur. You'll probably find that there are a few (perhaps one or two) points that are very large or very small and that most of the rest of the points occupy a narrow band around 0. This kind of data causes Wilbur's auto-scaling to become confused. Use Filter>>Height Clip only leave the altitudes close to that middle band.

The data errors happen because some versions of FT can generate bad data in response to certain operations. These values tend to end up in the hidden last column of the FT data. Using Tools>>Actions>>Normalize Data in FT can sometimes fix this problem.