Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tower & Bridge - an isometric map in the making

I'm very interested in the spiral staircase in isometric. I'm currently investing a lot of time designing city maps in isometric using Inkscape and GIMP. I've seen a lot of "tutorials" that explains how to draw them, but most of them are side views, not isometric. I have tried a few methods in Inkscape, but I haven't been happy with the results yet.

After I get my next challenge draft done, I'll provide my own linework on the isometric staircase. It's not hard, if anything the only limiting factor is how time consuming it is, especially if you're using GIMP. Although you can draw one section and copy & paste the rest. So stay tuned, my friend!

Now that I've largely completed my Lite Challenge map I will be returning to work on this relatively soon. However, I've been thinking about it a lot lately, and there doesn't seem to be a lot of focus maps similar to this one. Even in the boardgame mapping subforum. I don't know if this is because people largely aren't interested in making this type of map or because of apprehension on how to approach it. If IT is the latter, would anyone be interested in a tutorial detailing what goes in to making a detailed isometric "dungeon" map? I offer, only because the inspiration for this particular map was drawn from similar maps which turned out to be some of my favorites, and I'd definitely like to see more like them around!

Well if you are interested, the tutorial would include a section on "what are 'isometric maps'?", "The advantages of isometrics", "laying out an isometric grid", and then a bunch of smaller parts detailing what goes into making the textures for grid spaces and lighting stuff.

... But maybe i'm overstepping myself here, idk, I thought it might be a good way to get back in to this map and provide some helpful tools to people, what do you guys think?

Blog Entries

I would like to see a tutorial. ^.^
    Have you "liked" a post today?

Alright, after some intense thought I've decided to start over on this piece. Frankly, there's simply too much uninteresting space and I don't have patience to colour it all in.

Expect a revised draft sometime today.

... and if anyone has a burning need to see this done, feel free to finish it!

Blog Entries

:O what, I like it though
    Have you "liked" a post today?

It's not the quality that bothers me, although it could use some touching up. (those bricks are tedious as #^$@ and I get sloppy on them) It's that the picture itself is very empty. So i'm going to draw another draft and see if I can make it more interesting.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tower2.png 
Views:	331 
Size:	3.72 MB 
ID:	61448

Alright, the new layout is <ALMOST> complete, I still gotta add more detail, but I think this will get the point across.

I also think the new design is a little better composition-ally than what I had before.

EDIT: there will also be a considerable amount of rubble not shown in this picture.

I love this piece, reminds me of when they still taught drafting in school.

There was never a drafting class at my Highschool as it's really a college prep school. HOWEVER, it used to be a little more tech oriented and luckily I got to take a couple of classes that provided me with ample drafting experience (actual drafting, not CADD (which I also have experience with)).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast