Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi there!

Default Hi there!

Hi all,

I am new here and thought I'd best start by introducing myself a bit. I am a world builder and have been inventing new worlds for as long as I can think, joined a german world building community more than ten years ago and have had lots of fun with it all.
    But world builders need maps of course (and apart from needing them I simply love maps) - so I drew my maps first by hand, then switched to photoshop and yesterday I finally decided to try and create 3D-images and maps of my worlds. I downloaded terragen and started to play with it - only I couldn't figure out how to create custom height maps in the shape of my continents - so I asked the internet. And the internet brought me here.
    I honestly didn't see much of this community or the forum yet, but the little I have seen so far blew me right off my feet. you guys are amazing and there is so, so much I can and want to learn from you. Not only about height maps and fractal terrains but also about all kinds and other forms of maps. For example I didn't even try to create a city map yet, not after so many years of building my own world…
    Right now I am a little overwhelmed by the sheer amount of content here, but i am sure I will find my way around soon I have attached two samples of one of my maps so you guys can get a glimpse of my current work.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Amandur_aktuell_gross2.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	2.09 MB 
ID:	60769Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Amandur_politisch_neu_details_gross.gif 
Views:	114 
Size:	2.60 MB 
ID:	60770

Welcome to the Guild Lyrillies! I can definitely relate to your experience, I was blown away and a little overwhelmed by the sheer amount of awesome content here when I first joined up. You are already off to a great start though. I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Thanks! I already started trying out some stuff from the tutorials and it's amazing! Although very bad for the university work that's piling up…

Wow so you create worlds too! That's fantastic!
    Your maps look really good, and big too, I like the style you're doing
    Seems like you also created some sort of new language, if I see the very beautiful names on your map?
    And who are your worlds inhabitants?

thanks Irma
    the problem with my maps so far is that they are a product of luck, I probably couldn't recreate them if I tried… So I hope I'll learn enough here to improve that in the future. And yes I did create a language, it's called Ascam and is mostly spoken on the continent you can see in the maps. I have three other continents, though. And all in all over twenty different types of creatures living there - but no humans!

Welcome to the Guild Lyrillies! And welcome to you to Irma!

Thank you, Bogie!

Practice, practice and practice, in the end that's the key. I'm sure you'll be lucky more times
    Wow so amazing that you create a language, how did you do it? I mean, do you also have grammer and such? It seems so difficult :p
    Ascam sounds very good.
    And the creatures, do you create them yourself? Or are they like mythical creatures or something?

Thanks Bogie!

@Irma: Haha yes I guess you're right! I'm sure they can teach me enough here to understand more of what I'm doing when I fiddle around with photoshop in the future!

Inventing the language actually wasn't as difficult as it sounds - I found words that I liked and thought about what they could mean, but then of course you also need a way to string words together into a sentence, so you just start making up rules and before you know it you have a basic grammar system, and that already helps a lot when you hit the more difficult elements of a language. But all in all you mostly need an idea of where you want to go with that language. For Ascam, I wanted it to sound very melodic and continuous, without any major audible breaks between words or sentences, so that's what I started with when I designed the grammar.

The creatures are all my original design, the basic thought when I started the world was that I wanted everything to be different from the real earth, so no humans, no mythical figures we already know, a different set of physics and different laws of nature. Of course that also has a limit. Most of my creatures are at least slightly humanoid cause re-inventing bowls, plates, and the (literal) wheel was more than I wanted to do, what with there being so many other things that needed to be invented…
    I actually have a website about my world, but it's all in german.

I have respect for you, when you say it, making a language seems so easy haha, but I tried once and I just couldn't figure it out. Maybe I should try the way you do it
    Ascam must be a very beautiful language.

It's so nice that you didn't create any human, because human actually are quite weird creatures . Your world absolutely sounds amazing!!
    Could I please see your website? I have german at school, so I can understand it a little bit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast