Thread: Scanning old ceiling designs

Post Scanning old ceiling designs

Interesting project I'm working on, so I thought I'd share!

I have no idea whether this could be helpful to anyone, here, but my latest client job for my daytime business is the scanning, digital printing and archiving of 150 year old architectural renderings of ceiling graphic designs for a pre-victorian Italianate mansion, in a community near me.

These are yellowed, in some cases damaged, historic documents. The foundation which possesses these images works to preserve the actual mansion and want's me to create digital print duplicates they will frame and place on the walls throughout the museum/historic home. Actually a foundation member has to accompany the documents and wait while I scan them - they can't leave them in my possession for insurance reasons...

Anyway, since these are ceiling graphics, they really might not be of interest here, though I imagine they could be used as reference for floor tile designs and other areas of 19th century styled residential maps.

Here's one example (low res version) of what I'm working on...

GP
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	carus05.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	690.1 KB 
ID:	5443  
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Wow, that one is beautiful! I picked up today a book called 'The Grammar of Ornament' which has many smilar such designs. I think they have the potential of making great borders for maps.

Guild Journeyer

Hmm. Run it thorough the mosiac tile tutorial and make a pretty awesome courtyard.

Considering all the work you'll be doing to make them pretty, I'd love to see a pdf when you're finished. If that's allowed legally, morally etc....

Adding an influence beyond my control has a way of giving maps & creations extra dimension.

Sigurd

Post Blueprints soon!

I've just been informed that I will be receiving the original 19th century linen blue prints of the mansion, the above ceiling tile design belongs. All floors and elevation maps of front/back/sides of structure.

Once scanned and cleaned up, I will post them in the map reference forum.

Attached is a photo of the mansion from the front view (thumbnail only).

When I was 17, I never heard of the place, friends and I roller-skated at an all night event which ended, just pre-dawn. Someone suggested we check out the "haunted house". Went there and in the predawn light the view was awesome. At the time heavy overgrowth hid the front area, but made it more creepy in appearance!

GP
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hegeler-carus.jpg 
Views:	882 
Size:	23.3 KB 
ID:	5445  
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 07-24-2008 at 12:11 PM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Very nice, Gamerprinter. I look forward to seeing the finished scans.
    Cheers,
    Tim

Paratime Design Cartography

"Do infants have as much fun in infancy as adults do in adultery?" - Groucho Marx

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

That's an invaluable book Ravs, been looking to get a copy of it myself. It was sort of like the bible for interior designers. I can't wait to see more and add to my inspiration notebook of patterns.

Blog Entries

I can see multiple uses for these in and out of the sphere of cartography. Isn't it odd that they are obviously worth a great deal and yet must be out of copyright too. That house looks great - I want one. And I want to get a giant hearse to park outside. Extrapolating my changing appearance I am going to look like Uncle Fester in the not too distant future too. Perfect.

Once again, GP, you have the coolest job! I'm looking forward to seeing your scans.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name