Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: WIP: Aardia and the Kyzian Empire

Lingon, I haven't forgotten your suggestions--I'll get the next version of that map up tomorrow. But in the interim, a cut at a political boundary map:

Thoughts?

And another pass at the geographical map:

Tree color is muted, land has more height variation, and I've mad a first pass at the Maelstrom, a whirlpool between the continents.
    Last edited by SumnerH; 02-19-2014 at 10:40 AM.

Political map updated with city markers. This is approaching finished, IMO: thoughts?

Last edited by SumnerH; 02-20-2014 at 05:55 PM.

Just for fun, a globe rendition. I don't think this projection was very smart; it completely truncated the poles, stretching all latitudes. But it was an informative first effort.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Forests are perfect now!

For the globe, I guess you've already realized this, but the distortion needs to be taken into account from the start, so you're working on a distorted map that becomes right when it's wrapped around the globe. Things near the poles look much, much wider on an equirectangular map than they do in reality. For the regional maps, the equirectangular one should then be reprojected to something more suitable for the area, probably one of the conic projections.

Quote Originally Posted by Lingon View Post
    Forests are perfect now!

For the globe, I guess you've already realized this, but the distortion needs to be taken into account from the start, so you're working on a distorted map that becomes right when it's wrapped around the globe. Things near the poles look much, much wider on an equirectangular map than they do in reality. For the regional maps, the equirectangular one should then be reprojected to something more suitable for the area, probably one of the conic projections.
    Yeah, I understand mapping projections and if I'm doing a reverse mercator I expect the "Greenland as big as African" issue in reverse. This is beyond that, though: the program I'm using isn't really doing a mapping projection, and it's totally truncating the poles (I made them a fairly wide white band as wide as the entire map just for testing, and there's not a sign of them at either end)--it's really meant for wrapping up corporate logos for web sites, not serious cartography. I'll be looking for a more accurate alternative, but it was a fun little experiment.

Up next on the geographical map: fix the rivers and city markings, and possibly add some geographical markings (river/mountain/lake names, etc).

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Ah, ok. Try G.Projector from Nasa, it's a free app that has a huge amount of projections. The one called "Orthographic" is a globe view.

I snagged G.project. Fun tool.

The distortion for the area I've been working with isn't too bad (as expected, latitudes are basically all below 60):

Equirectangular:

Winkel-tripel:

Mercator (in particular, I need to redo the portolan navigation chart as a Mercator projection; the rhumb lines there are pretty lies at the moment).

Ortho:

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456