Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Uhh... Mapping... etiquette? Originality?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midgardsormr View Post
    I'd just like to add that a long time ago we actually had a challenge to base a map on a real-world location. If I recall correctly, the winner was a map of the Niagara region by RobA: http://www.cartographersguild.com/ma...y-niagara.html

In addition, some mappers like to use a real coastline, or a synthesis of several coastlines, as a starting point for a fictional map. You can get realistic looking heightfields and mountain ranges the same way. Those are even better because it's really unlikely that someone will recognize a heightmap, whereas they might recognize a coast.

Ohgodialmosthadaheartattack. I thought it was going to be a close up pic of goat island too Then I was like, YAY he did the part of land I'm not doing! So it's still okay to do it, right?

Anyway

Okay so... I don't know how to make a real heightmap, but I pretty much just did the coastline and water depths... (I'm making up my own heights for the land) It's funny, cause the waterfalls move the same way !!

Where was I going with this.. I forget...
    Have you "liked" a post today?

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

and to illustrate Mid's point about recognizing coasts from real world data, here is something that I did with Arsheesh's tutorial using Wilbur and Gimp.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Falland6.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	3.48 MB 
ID:	60943

This is a stretched out version of the Falkland Islands that I am planning on running a campaign in. All it is atm is the geological features of the world, but like others, if you are using public sources for the layout of natural features, I see no problem with using or mapping good ol' Mother Gaea

Can't wait to see what you do with Her.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Quote Originally Posted by Jalyha View Post
    Ohgodialmosthadaheartattack. I thought it was going to be a close up pic of goat island too
    Ha! I totally didn't even realize that you were talking about the same area. Complete coincidence. Or maybe a subconscious synchronicity.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Blog Entries

The funniest part is that reading you quoting ME, I couldn't read what I wrote there, for a minute...

Me and goat island are duking it out at the moment... trying to learn how to REALLY use gimp, before I get anything too set in stone...
    Have you "liked" a post today?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123