Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: [CWBP2] Question Regarding Ownership

Blog Entries

Thats right.

So long as you are the creator of *all* of the work. But you cant derive a map based off of another in the CWBP and still claim that the map is *all* yours any more. Derivative maps of a CC-SA basis must also be CC-SA thats the point of "Share Alike". But if its all yours then you can do what the hell you like with it.

Blog Entries

But can I add that like Falconius says - I agree that I dont think non CC work should filter into the CWBP so as to make only part of it shareable. If you make your own stuff then share it to the CWBP as CC you can still sell it yourself as well but don't claim that bits you add to the CWBP are not CC licensed.

We had Gamerprinter who you may know well being a popular poster made a set of oriental styled maps called Kaiden which he wanted to be on an island off to the West of Ansium. I thought this was fine but he should not use the island thats there as part of the main map as a Kaiden map template. We just said to people dont map in that bit and assume that you can run Kaiden adventures there. But we didn't have modules of Kaiden appearing as part of the CWBP. I am not sure what became of it but it was useful to split that out and away from the CWBP else there would be problems.

You just cant end up with a situation where everybody pools into the project and one person monetizes it for himself so CC guarantees that it remains free and shareable for everyone.

Actually, I had to make this decision at one time as well. When the CWBP first came into existence, I was eager to join. So first I created the Qashya Mal region which consisted of 4 squares - if I remember right. I mapped them all myself. Then I opted to create some textual content for the area. I don't know if it has been further developed, but I spent several months fleshing out the region.

Then I got the urge to work on another area, something I could assign as "this is the Japan analog", since I've been wanting to develop a fictional Japan land as a personal project for a while. My initial problem was I couldn't find a set of islands that best match what I wanted to create. I did pick/get assigned a particular chain of islands, and before I started to map, I started to write some of the intended content for such an area... but I stopped. You see I came to the conclusion that I wanted to develop something completely on my own, then publish it. The more I thought about it, the more I didn't want to steal something from this (an existing community project) and claim it as my own.

Part of it was because the island chain the I settled on really didn't satisfy my needs for a specific size of island - not too big, but big enough. Also because I really wanted to publish my own thing.

I started to more deeply design a setting, as well as generate the first of several very Japanese style island maps. Once I had something to show, I started contacting several publishers that I've done commission work in the past who might be interested in publishing a setting I was working on. Eventually I found Steven Russell of Rite Publishing who talked me into self-publishing as an imprint under Rite Publishing. This way I could maintain control of the product, but I could get help for game designers and writers to help bring my personal project into published reality.

Thus I have now published the Kaidan setting of Japanese horror (PFRPG), so far I've created with the help of Jonathan McAnulty an introductory trilogy of modules to Kaidan called The Curse of the Golden Spear with 3 modules: The Gift, Dim Spirit and Dark Path, also 3 one-shot adventures were created: Frozen Wind (a free module), The Tolling of Tears, and Up from Darkness. Also 3 racial supplements were created: In the Company of Kappa, In the Company of Henge and In the Company of Tengu. 2 (so far) class/faction supplements have been created: Way of the Yakuza and Way of the Samurai, as well as a haunts guide (written by T. H. Gulliver) called #30 Haunts for Kaidan. Finally I completely designed/developed/written/page layout and created the cartography for Haiku of Horror: Autumn Moon Bath House - an adventure site and mini-module.

2 summers ago, I ran a successful Kickstarter to fund a GMs and Players Campaign Guide to the setting, and though past the scheduled release date, we are wrapping up the last of the magic system, before it goes to editing, then back to me for page layout. So we should those products in the next several months.

So at the end of this diatribe - I ran into wanting to publish something from the CWBP, and my final decision was to completely separate the two projects and not actually develop my area from the CWBP. So needless to say, I took an idea, and ran with it in a big way!

You might opt to go a different way, but if you think you might want to publish something on your own, I suggest you don't pull it from here, rather go completely your own way - from scratch.
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 01-31-2014 at 11:52 AM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected 12rounds's Avatar

Personally I've evolved into supporting free culture licensing only. Essentially having a CC-SA/CC-BY-SA (dropping out the NC) license is giving you a free culture license. There's no real reason to force the NC part in - it's just asking for trouble. Having a world is fine and dandy but if the individual licensing of maps/whatnot prohibits it's commercialization in the future, it's a damn sure thing CWBP will never evolve into an actual gaming product but remains a niche side project of hobbyists and professionals of the gaming industry.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected 12rounds's Avatar

Personally I've evolved into supporting free culture licensing only. Essentially having a CC-SA/CC-BY-SA (dropping out the NC) license is giving you a free culture license. There's no real reason to force the NC part in - it's just asking for trouble. Having a world is fine and dandy but if the individual licensing of maps/whatnot prohibits it's commercialization in the future, it's a damn sure thing CWBP will never evolve into an actual gaming product but remains a niche side project of hobbyists and professionals of the gaming industry.

Blog Entries

Okay, I get it.. it's like...

I create a race of people ... the AEJMANS or something (yay for keyboard-smash naming) and a city for them to live in. Hollywood. I describe Hollywood very clearly.. it's a city in a cave, lots of tunnels, etc.

I say hey, lets use them in the CWBP. Then someone maps another city with AEJMANS in it, in a cave with tunnels, and they say hey, these guys get water by... idk a huge osmosis temple in the city center... w/e.

So I put a temple in Hollywood.

Any of us can use AEJMANS in any way that we *do not* make money... like private games, or maps on the site or whatever.

I can sell a book or a game that has AEJMANS in it and Hollywood - but the temple isn't mine, so that can't be in there, and neither can the rest of the world they live in... AND even after I sell the book or game, anyone can keep using the AEJMANS for free, because they're part of the project under the same CC license.

BUT if someone *else* ends up mapping Hollywood for the project instead of me... then it can't be in my for-sale book or game... cause it's not *ALL* my work anymore.

AND if someone else suggests/makes changes to the AEJMANS in the project discussion, I can't sell them (or material containing them) with those changes.

So if I was GOING to use them in the project, and I realized I wanted to use them later (for something profitable) it's best to not put them in the project at all.
    Cause, really, if they're in the project, there WILL be discussion, and improvements, and changes and other people will work on them, and it will be really hard, afterward, to distinguish how much is my sole work, and how much was as a result of the community effort... and.. this is all really confusing.
    Have you "liked" a post today?

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jalyha View Post
    Okay, I get it.. it's like... ... and.. this is all really confusing.
    But an accurate summation I think
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Blog Entries

Yay! And I like how you quoted the part of my post that summed it all up

Glad to know I've figured it out though

12round: so if I get you point: NC would prohibit selling products related to the project. But I thought that not having an NC license would be a problem since people could use the project for their own benefits, am I wrong?

Blog Entries

I thought the point was for it to be a side project? :/

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast