Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New in the Cartographer's world

Blog Entries

@Irma - having read your other posts, I thought you might be interested in the toponomy and linguistics area of the forums. There's lots of people here who create their own languages, and tons of posts on naming your world and its' creatures!

@Lyrilllies - I was judging the size of the continent from the mountain range ;P
    Have you "liked" a post today?

@Jalyha Thanks a lot for the advice, I just took a look and it's very, very usefull. Wow this guild gets better and better haha

@Bogie thanks! Lol, that's really cool! So you're on dA too then

@Lyrillies Your explanation makes sence After all, it does looks like a small place, especially in comparing with your map haha
    (Just as a side note, it's not really that they make war because they want more space, but because they're close to each other and so it's easier to make fights about certain things. If they would be far away from eachother, they probably don't know each other Unless they've developed somewhat more ofcourse )

Haha I guess that's the problem xD Yeah but I do miss the mountains a lot you know... and also the huge forests. If you take a walk in the Netherlands, you'll always see someone else passing by, you're never alone, wich sometimes can be a bit restless. But beside that, I'm glad with where I live

Thank you! The Wormsel are a bit like pets, they can be very devoted to one master. But it's certainly not friendly for its enemies.

haha well those are the only ones looking their size though, I'm having trouble making my newest one look big enough…
    so how developed are your tribes? Do they have electricity? And what means of transportation do they use?

Hmm, never saw it that way, but makes sense of course! I must say I really love the huge open spaces you have… And the coast!
    And that's with great detail like "A COMPASS tells you which direction is north!"

Yeah the size is quite difficult to manage, but you'll work it out I'm sure
    Oh no, my tribes absolutely do not know electricity, except maybe thunderdragons
    No, some of the tribes are like in the medieval time, they have a king and villages with things like blacksmith, jails, taverns and such.
    Others are really like living in small houses, having one leader, and hunting for food, they do not have shops, they don't trade, they're just totally dependant on nature.

And also to reply on your other message in the other thread:
    Ascam seems really interesting, it must be fun to still develop the language, just like they're doing with the Na'vi
    Well I just tried to randomly create a language, started with the grammer, but I just got so confused that I stopped it

Your website is awesome, so much information! Really fantastic. I'm still translating a bit though, haha, this is really good for my german, I've got exams this year so this definitely will help

Wel I'm not sure what to tell about my world, because the one moment I think of somethin but the other moment I change it again, I'm still really creating it, working it out.

Guild Journeyer

Hello:

Welcome to the guild.

Tracker

Thank you!!

First off, welcome to the Guild IrmaZwart! As to the map, very interesting blend of styles you've got. Combining painting (and pencil work) with textures is not something that most people can pull off well - it usually ends up looking sort of odd. I think the grass texture could work though. The mountains seem a bit ethereal to me. They could use a bit more solid color and contrast. Off to a good start though.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

thunderdragons - that sounds interesting! Do they breathe fire?
    so it sounds like a somewhat classical fantasy world? Nice!

hmm as for the language: it always helps to have actual text to translate, that gives you one problem at a time and then you can use the things from that text for the next one when the next things come up.

haha thanks! Oh and if you need help with your exams let me know!

as for you still creating the world: I have bad news, that never stops! just six months ago I completely shredded some of the very basics of my world...
    And that's with great detail like "A COMPASS tells you which direction is north!"

Blog Entries

It does look very interesting.

I have to jump in on the language thing, though... (don't get me wrong, if it works for you, USE it, but) I've always found it best to start by creating an alphabet... the *sounds* your people produce, and what they're associated with. Then get all your prefixes/suffixes sorted out, and root words, and then you can translate anything

If you start word for word translating a document, and then later try translating something else (with all different words!) you can end up with your language sounding.. disjointed, somehow :/ I don't know how to explain it!
    Have you "liked" a post today?

oh well, you're right of course, I was talking about grammar only I said earlier that I started with a clear idea of what I wanted the language to sound like and with finding words that sounded right - but then, if the whole thing fails at inventing grammar, I think it's nice to start with an actual text because it just kinda gives you an anchor of where to start and what to do, and of course once you have the general principles it can always be adjusted so that it sounds right again
    But again, I'm not a linguist so I just went with what worked and also that's only me, others might of course have completely different approaches

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast