Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New in the Cartographer's world

Blog Entries

I'm no linguist either... I just love conlangs (Bit of an obsession, at times!)

I'd probably be pretty good at it if I didn't have the attention span of a 5 year old
    Have you "liked" a post today?

Hi Arsheesh! Thank you so much
    Well yeah i just started drawing and putted some effects with ps, and it worked out quite nice.
    As for the moutnains, you're absolutely right, and then to think that I wanted to make even more of them, it's so hard to make realistic mountains.
    I already removed the snowy mountains and am now trying to make them again, but more in a "line".
    Your maps are amazing! How did you learn that all?

Quote Originally Posted by IrmaZwart View Post
    Hi Arsheesh! Thank you so much
    Well yeah i just started drawing and putted some effects with ps, and it worked out quite nice.
    As for the moutnains, you're absolutely right, and then to think that I wanted to make even more of them, it's so hard to make realistic mountains.
    I already removed the snowy mountains and am now trying to make them again, but more in a "line".
    Your maps are amazing! How did you learn that all?
    Torstan has some good tutorials for hand drawings mountains that may be of use to you in the thread Assorted Tips and Tricks. Pretty much all I know about creating maps in a photorealistic style came from a combination of scouring tutorials here and then my own trial and error. If you spend some time going through the tutorials section you'll find all sorts of helpful material here. I found Ascention and RobA's tutorials very useful when I first arrived at the Guild and since then quite a few other useful tutorials have been written. As to hand drawn stuff (what little of it I've done), I grew up sketching as a hobby, though I sort of let it slip in college and am now trying to get back into it.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Nope, Thunderdragons bring great storms with them. The dragons are huge, and always surrounded with lightning bolts
    Most of the time they live high up in the mountains, but when they pay a village a visit, everything gets destroyed, no firebreath is needed
    Yep, very classical fantasy world

I'll give it a try, it's worth it I think

That's true actually yes, it never stops, that's also quite fun! But I'm not as far as you with creating my world

That sounds very nice - I like the twist in the traditional idea of a dragon! Is there any explanation as to why these dragons cause storms and lightning? Or is it just magic?

I agree that is part of the fun! It can be all sorts of frustrating and annoying but in the end its somehow always worth it because one ends up with a truly original thing that came from nowhere but your own mind, right?
    I hope the language thing works out for you!

I read that you are working on your map - why don't you post it as a WIP? I bet people would be interested in seeing the changes and hearing your thoughts as the map progresses
    And that's with great detail like "A COMPASS tells you which direction is north!"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123