Thread: Greetings: new member and long-time gamer and cartographic enthusiast

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Default Greetings: new member and long-time gamer and cartographic enthusiast

Greetings,

I've been interested in maps ever since I can remember. Tolkien's maps are some of the earliest I remember in my life, and of course the worlds of Greyhawk and Xanth and other fantasy inspired maps as I grew up. I also love real historic maps, especially those of the ancient world up through the great explorers. Cool stuff.

I've been playing RPG's on and off since Basic D&D, a friend of mine and I wrote the CoC game Utatti Asfet in the 1990's - and I continue to write and run various games for our bi-weekly gaming group.

Recently, I got inspired and built a sort of data-projector based mapping system for our games, and since then, I've become quite a bit more interested in borrowing existing maps and creating my own for those games. I like the digital maps more than paper ones, but will probably always still use paper sometimes, as well as 3D models.

Pleasure meeting everyone - seems like a fine community with many beautiful and inspiring creations.

-owen

Blog Entries

Welcome!!

Bonus points for Xanth

Sounds aall interesting. Hope to see some of your work soon!
    Have you "liked" a post today?

Yeah, gaming got me in deep with mapping.

If you see my deviant art page, feel free to borrow some of my ideas... it's not great stuff... but its out there!

Guild Journeyer

Hello:
    Welcome to the Guild. Gaming also was the gateway to map creation.

Tracker

What is a data-projector based mapping system? sounds interesting...

Welcome to the Guild Owen, look forward to seeing your work.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Thanks, everyone.

Nice to meet you all.

Mr.Fatboy - Using a data projector to display our maps for table top gaming. We suspended a data projector over our table, it shines directly down and displays our gaming maps at scale. I run it off my laptop, scroll large maps, erase the "fog of war" as players discover new terrain, and mostly try to "up our game" from hand drawn maps on the fly. We also use 3d terrain models sometimes - and like those a lot. Just getting to the point where we're trying to improve our gaming experience.