• The Lost Island - Vivi

1 3.57%
  • Treasures of Lohan - Carbus

17 60.71%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: January Challenge Voting - Map for a Game

Post January Challenge Voting - Map for a Game

This month's challenge was to create a map suitable for a board game. We had few entries this time around but notwithstanding that fact there was some fantastic work done:

Please vote for your favorite map(s), and be sure to be generous about repping those who participated in the challenge. The voting will last for 4 days and the winner will receive a golden compass and the praise, admiration and envy of his peers. May the best map win.

Ok, here's the rationale - the amusement park was... amusing. Makes me smile :-). The Island looks like a pleasant little game, and the map is enough to add a geographic component to a concept that would otherwise be a repetitious circle. Nice. And the Lohan map is cool - if I study what you have the game will make sense, no doubt.

But SteamBlitz (yclept early Steampunk Risk and corrected inline)... dude, that's a game I'd buy. The map would sell me, the details would clinch it. A publisher would no doubt insist on a bunch of playtesting to ensure it is balanced and interesting from first roll to last, but as far as I'm concerned you have a winner. If the rules and details are intended to simulate a game rather than play well as one... <shrug> the contest was to make a map for a game, not to make a game that has a map; subtle difference :-).

And I want that bicycle with a machine gun. Currently I dare not commute down the five miles of busy highway between home and office, otherwise a doable distance. If the hurtling ingots of chrome-edged doom had a little respect for the two-wheelers, maybe it would be a survivable trek.

Blog Entries

Okay my thinking is this (and don't vote for mine, you silly things, it was a silly thing )

Best GAME was probably Treasures of Lohan. It's new, it's original, it's not done to death. And there was extensive work put in to that game. I want to play it. Badly.

Risk is Risk, and it's always a winner. And what was done with this entry was INCREDIBLE. And all the details to it.. that puts it over the top.

I would buy both games. Well... if I didn't already have the original RISK, cause I can't afford it right now.

The island is cute and funny and quirky, and above all - different. And my kid keeps asking for it. He doesn't know what it is, but he wants it. Game ? Check. Map? Check. Nothing said it had to be for grown ups only So...

I wanted to vote for all three of the other entries, because they are all good, in different ways.

I ALMOST didn't vote for the island, because it was stated that it wasn't in its' final stages, and I saw how hard the other entrants worked, but... well my kiddo won me over, so I'm voting for all three

That being said... if I could buy a game, and only one game, from this contest, it would be Treasures of Lohan.
    Have you "liked" a post today?

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Since there's only 4 entries this month, I restrained to one vote and it went to Timallen risk board, a very clean, pleasant and readable map and board. Carbus' treasures of Lohan is sure another great entry but the map is too light to really catch attention as a boardgame imho. Congrats to everyone for the entries!

Guild Adept Facebook Connected EricPoehlsen's Avatar

It was a nice challenge topic, unfortunatly I had no time to join in.

Four entrants, honestly I can only give one of you a vote in this case and that goes to the incredible Risk map.

Lohan and the Lost Island are interesting entries - Jalyha, as you said it yourself, I regard your entry as a joke - a nice one - could be a funny little game ...

Both other entries I liked, but anything that looks like it is drawn will usually sway my vote. So mine goes to the Treasures of Lohan.

This month's choice is really difficult: with only four entries it seems wrong to give more than one vote, however, I feel compelled to give two.

I hate Risiko with all my heart since childhood; apart from the absurd geographical divisions, I found unbearable that dumb guy that with zero strategy and one army resisted with a series of lucky rolls to the assault of your thirty armies, patiently collected after an arduous card management. Then you lost the game and mocked forever like the worst armchair general ever and as a ten year child you felt ready to wage a real war against the Risiko producer.
    However, I had to vote for this Risiko, I wouldn’t buy it is a joy to behold, and the steampunk cards are really gorgeous.

Carbus has created a little gem with its Secrets of Lohan: An original, really good design with an extremely eye-catching choice of colors. A compulsory vote for me.

Four very good maps - well done everyone. I went with Timallen's Steampunk Risk in the end because of the extraordinary execution of the concept; but I liked all the entries a lot.

Professional Artist Cunning Cartographer's Avatar

I went with Carbus' Treasures of Lohan simply because, to me, it was more original and beautifully designed. If there had been more votes then I would of course voted for Timallen's risk board. However, when it came down to it the Risk board (where the map as the main component in a mapping challenge) just wasn't original enough for my liking. I like that, whilst not initially planned, Timallen moved the borders around to make the territories different and renamed them to a different version of the earth we know, but just by looking at it you know straight away that it's risk because it doesn't get far enough away from the original.
    Last edited by Cunning Cartographer; 02-03-2014 at 09:50 AM. Reason: So many typos and missed words..

Congrats to Timallen for winning this month's challenge!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast