Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Google MAPS as base map

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lingon View Post
    You might be able to use Natural Earth maps. They have vector and raster (pixel) versions, and the raster maps come at three detail levels. You'll also need a projection changer if you don't have one already, like G.Projector.
    The raster datasets Natural Earth provides are strictly hypsometic and bathymetric. They don't show any features beyond topography. You're expected to add anything else you need (rivers, lakes, roads, cities, etc) from the vector data sets.

Quote Originally Posted by mvojnovic View Post
    Ok Thanks, but USGS has only maps for US territory. I need base map covering this area (red square on map):
    Attachment 61015
    Which is why I only mentioned it as one of several examples of national mapping agencies. Bosnia's is the Federal Geodetic Administration while Serbia's is the Republic Geodetic Authority

Quote Originally Posted by Azelor View Post
    I still think that the simplest thing to do is to take Printscreens and paste them in photoshop. Maybe it's because I like puzzles
    Which has issues with copyright.

OpenStreetMap has an image export function (allows in the vicinity of 2k by 2k, found in the sidebar under "Sharing" not the "Export" button at the top) and it has a fairly usable license (the Open Database License) Very roughly (this is not remotely legal advice), it is a "share alike"/"copyleft" license for raw data (you have to share derived data under the same terms), but a "permissive" license (just give credit) for "produced works" like finished maps the present the data without changing it or even add wholly layers over it.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

They have lots of variants of the Natural Earth raster maps. Here's one with topography, rivers and lakes:Gray Earth with Shaded Relief, Hypsography, Ocean Bottom, and Drainages | Natural Earth I don't know if it's detailed enough for this project, but is is extremely detailed

Quote Originally Posted by HandsomeRob View Post
    I found this map that might work as a basemap for your project:
    http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/ams/w...44-nl34-10.jpg

If that's not the exact right area, there is a clickable index map that you could use to find the right quad here:
    Western Europe AMS Index Map - Perry-Castañeda Map Collection - UT Library Online
    Thanks for reply but none of those work for me because like other maps i have to sort them like a puzzle.

They have lots of variants of the Natural Earth raster maps. Here's one with topography, rivers and lakes:Gray Earth with Shaded Relief, Hypsography, Ocean Bottom, and Drainages | Natural Earth I don't know if it's detailed enough for this project, but is is extremely detailed
    Ok ill give it a try but if theres no detail river system it wont work for me.

Ok i download it and couldn't open it with G. Projector only with normal image opening program and map wasnt detail enough. It is huge scale but since its a world map and not local one it lacks in detail. I need something like a map HandsomeRob posted just if it would cover more area to the south instead of north. I guess im picky about my base maps

Quote Originally Posted by HandsomeRob View Post
    I have seen those maps before. They are good and detailed but like i said i need to puzzled them together to make it useful but i dont have enough skill to do that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12