Thread: CWBP 2 : Deliberation method

Default CWBP 2 : Deliberation method

(Discussion: this is not a guideline but I might edit the post when things are settled)

As people come up with ideas, we will need to deal with situations where we can’t agree, so we should decide a way to deliberate/take decision as GspRooster suggested.
    I think that a vote should not always be required. Regarding countries descriptions for example; normally we should not have to vote about them, they would be accepted as long as they are well thought and if they fit in the campaign but they would later be opened for suggestion of improvement/modification. Unless someone as a good reason to disagree with your idea, I see no valid point to discard the content. Yet, sometimes a voting is required. Then what?

50%+1: a clear majority,

Problem: we need to find a way to achieve 50% and that is not always easy when there are many choices. Also, how to avoid stalemate: 50/50? Someone could have a special vote, meaning he would have 2 votes instead of one in case of a tie vote.

Two turn election: we only keep the 2 leading choices for the second turn in order to achieve a majority of votes. That way, we are sure that the winner has clear support. The problem is that it would be more complicated.

Plurality: (or first past the post) the choice that get the most votes win, even if it’s just 2 votes.

Problem: lack of votes gives a poor legitimacy to the choice.
    How to avoid stalemate here?

What would be the best way to make the decisions?
    The above is just a suggestion and nothing has been decided yet. Other ideas are welcome

Depending on the importance of the decision upon which people are disagreeing or need a consensus I'd say we default to Plurality, and save Clear Majorities to very major decisions (like say the licensing issue).

Yes I suppose not all decisions require a majority.
    I thought about the subject and I studied political sciences, so I might get annoying with this but I think it's important to have a clear way to deliberate to avoid situation where people feel cheated by some decisions.

As long as it's over 50%+1, were fine
    between 30-33% and 50 % : seems ok to me, government are formed with around 30 % of the votes. Very low but possible.
    Less than 30-33 %: there is a lack of legitimacy here. Solution:

1: applying a weighting to the votes. Here I was thinking about single voters. I think that if someone has only one choice that interest him, he should be favored a bit. We only keep the ones that received the most votes (say more than 15%) anddecrease the weight of the votes for people that chooses multiple options. I haven't fiddled a lot with the numbers but dividing 1 vote by the number of chosen options would not make sense. It's leads to complicated calculus and the devil is in the details.

2: multiple turn (2 max) I f result is unconclusive, take only those that have more than 15 % of the votes and organize a second voting with 2 or 3 options, no more.

3: have no time limit to vote. There is a deadline but if results are inconclusive, it's possible to add more time to vote. That could also prevent a tie situation.

I would also like to ask: what is the required number of vote for the election to be valid ?

I think we can take it on a thread by thread basis without too much issue.

For major issues I'd think maybe 8-10 votes total at the moment

Having weighted votes seems to me too complicated to do well. Some problems are when there are many votes (unlikely to really happen here). and the other is that the scales here wouldn't correctly represent the true vote value. For issues were weight would be a factor just limit the poll to one vote.

As for the time limits I agree with you, we ought to have deadlines but if we don't feel there has been enough activity on the vote to go through, extend it or take it down and rework it. Perhaps removing the options no one voted for or a complete overhaul of the idea and question behind the vote.

8-10 votes, that's a small number for an important vote. We'll see..
    The normal delay for voting should be around 3-4 days.

I will open the ''Genre and era'' thread poll soon, maybe tonight.
    Last edited by Azélor; 02-04-2014 at 07:40 PM.

I think getting even 8-10 votes is unrealistic at this point.

Anyways for a lot of things I think we can assume their inclusion if no one is raising any objections. This keeps the conversation and project moving forward at a reasonable pace.
    Last edited by Falconius; 02-12-2014 at 11:41 AM.

Blog Entries

Yep yep. I think voting processes should be kept to the MAJOR decisions, and to areas of dissent

Otherwise it takes too long, achieves little, and feels... too... complicated? Idk what word I'm looking for here....
    Have you "liked" a post today?