Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: CWBP 2 : Era and Technology

Yea, but we can bend the rules some. Arquebus-es became pretty readily available during the renaissance, so we could say a few of the larger empire have managed to start incorporating them. It might also be fair to say that some places or people might have begun to construct engineering marvels like basic hydraulics, or cool pulley & gear assemblies. etc.

Eww, gunpowder.

Blog Entries

My friend said guns kill imagination. D:

Idk that that's true, but I tend to avoid them usually. Not a big deal, but just saying
    Have you "liked" a post today?

Quote Originally Posted by Scoopz View Post
    Yea, but we can bend the rules some. Arquebus-es became pretty readily available during the renaissance, so we could say a few of the larger empire have managed to start incorporating them. It might also be fair to say that some places or people might have begun to construct engineering marvels like basic hydraulics, or cool pulley & gear assemblies. etc.
    Actually you might be surprised. It depend on how sophisticated your devices are but they probably existed in that time.

And Idk if guns kill imagination but they kill people and a lot. That's more of a problem.
    But firearms where only limited to elite infantry at that time. It take some time before you get a whole army to use mostly firearms. Even then they would only have 1 shot before recharging and they would end the fight in melee.

Guns change everything, and they do it very rapidly, historically speaking. I'd prefer not to set our world in a time of such vast change, I'd prefer to have something we build and keep around for a very long while, something that is more reasonable to hold stagnant.
    Last edited by Falconius; 02-17-2014 at 12:41 PM.

Blog Entries

@ Falconius - yeah, that sounds like what I meant, if I was able to put it in words

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    Guns change everything, and they do it very rapidly, historically speaking. I'd prefer not to set our world in a time of such vast change, I'd prefer to have something we build and keep around for a very long while, something that is more reasonable to hold stagnant.
    Gosh, you are very determined to keep this world powerless and oppressed, aren't you?

Blog Entries

....................................... I don't think it's that so much as people want to start much earlier in the history of the world. I think since the chosen genre was mid? high? fantasy, the focus should be more on magic than technology, and that's rather hard if I can just blast your wizards with a spray of bullets from 1000 feet away.

Also, lack of *guns* doesn't equal oppression, and (especially in a world with magic) guns do not equal power, either.

Man, i'm not saying it does! But god, it's mid fantasy! There should be some some fantastical elements goddammit! and if the magic is gonna be 'subtle' than the weaponry better be more than that!

EDIT: you see, something's got to be fantasy about this. It isn't low fantasy or low magic, and what I've seen makes me think it.

No. If high magic was chosen I would be happy with that too, but it was mid magic. Which I'm happy with and personally preferred. With guns, upon which we haven't made a decision yet, I want the world to be either firmly on one side or the other. No guns or guns galore. However guns pretty surely take the setting out of the realm of fantasy, they change the world into something that is more familiar to me, and less interesting therefore. And guns I think will lead to less interesting development for our world. I mean we could just do Earth with magic too, but that isn't as fun for me. I'm fine with both guns and high magic, I'm working on a world of my own where both are included to some degree, but I wouldn't characterize it as strictly fantasy either.

Indeed I think we have a lot of wonderful ideas for this world already, and we have a heavy focus on magic for the world, I don't particularly want to muddy it all up with guns too. In a sense I'd like to keep it more pure. That said I'd be happy to consider any arguments for guns, as right now my arguments are opposed, and I haven't seen anything to convince my to be otherwise.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast