Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: CWBP 2 : Era and Technology

Europe only began to be ahead of most other countries around the Renaissance. Slowly at the start, the difference became really obvious during the 19th century.

Of course I do not expect that all our countries will have the same level of tech. We could have 1 or 2 countries slightly in advance with a bunch of other one that follow them pretty closely.

(stolen form Falconius)

Re-summarizing our progress so far...

Alright taking into account the thread progress I revised my original template trying to include the changes desired:

Art of war
    Guns/Canons/Gunpowder: Early Cannon and Fireworks should we change this for steam cannon?
    Calvary: Heavy, and on rare occasions other beasts
    Heavy horse cav: yes but expensive to waste
    Calvary dominates the battle field
    Armour: All the way up to 16th century plate (because that stuff is boss)
    Hand weapons: All stuff until 15th 16th century
    Missile weapons: Bows, more expensive; x-bows. Expensive and rare; other more advanced kinetic weapons (repeaters etc.)
    Magically assisted weapons: Yes
    Warrior codes: Advanced (bushido, chivalry, warrior societies like the Knights of Malta etc.)

Navigation and travel:
    Compasses: G node compasses, no magnetic north compasses. Celestial navigation still possible obviously.
    Chronometers: No, crude inaccurate mechanical clocks at best.
    Dominant propulsion: Sail
    Alternate propulsion: Yes
    Steam: No, to very minor experimental use in small enclaves.
    "Boat" types: Up to 15th century sail technology, i.e. Caravels
    Airships/airtravel:
    No to airships in general, yes to limited (i.e. rare) magical conveyances and tending to range on the small size.
    Flying creatures for travel/transport: Yes, anything. Rare.
    Overland transport: Wagons, horses, etc. Possibly landships for special uses
    Postal/carrier services: common for upper class.

Writing and learning
    Printing press: No
    Observation equipment: Crude telescopes.

Industry
    Power sources: Wind/water flow, magical
    Cam driven processes common (trip hammers, felters etc.)
    Lathes: Wood only
    Metallurgy: Steel is "common"
    Cast iron possible, though inaccurate, and rather uncommon
    Bronze casting is fairly accurate
    Bell casting: common
    cannon: inefficient and rare

*Note 1: Note this list only indicates the functionality of the technology achieved, not necessarily the actual technology.
    **Note 2: Any early technology is obviously included here, and these listed technologies only represent the most advanced they have reached in the most advanced nations, which, obviously, large portions of the world will not have reached. I mean more than half the world was still fighting with pointy sticks while Europe was busy running around with guns.
    ***Note 3: We can obviously artificially stagnate or halt to quick advancement and keep our world in the same stage as long as we wish, or not depending. Obviously we are going to develop it at one fixed time for now so no need to worry too much about consequences.
    Last edited by Azélor; 04-01-2014 at 11:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Azelor View Post
    Overland transport: Wagons, horses, chocobos (as requested by Jalyha), etc. Possibly landships for special uses
    I'm not against including domesticated giant birds, but we should name them something other than chocobos. That word is firmly associated with Final Fantasy in my mind.

What about literacy level ?
    This has varied very much throughout the world in the past, even now in the modern age. Illiteracy would be much more widespread in a world without printing press. Organized education and public libraries accessible to lower-class people will probably raise the local literacy level quite a bit, but those things require a rather stable and sophisticated society. Religion can also play a significant role in promoting or discouraging literacy.

I know, the chocobo was just a joke...

That was my intention I think with the level of scholarship, since literacy is really an individual case basis, I kind of wanted to establish a top line of scholarly achievement. In which I mean have we reached a Descartes level or has a Galileo started work somewhere? Etc. In reality it is not important to know really I think,it should just be dropped entirety from the list.

I made some modification to the post above. Is there anything to add or change ?

I made some modification to the post above. Is there anything to add or change ?
    Chocobos are serious business. You are wrong,very very wrong. Is that what you're talking about?

As regards to the list I honestly couldn't spot the alterations (probably because it's been a while) and overall it looks pretty good to me. I say we adopt it and move forward, whatever that means.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567