Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ihmlán

Wip Ihmlán

This is the world I've been working on for a fantasy genre campaign. I'll attach a PDF of the most complete 'view' of the map, and put a link to the CC3 file I'm working on. You'll have to extract the file to view the compass rose and cartouche, as they're custom symbols.

For reference, this is a spherical earth size world (25000 miles circumference) - I haven't put in a scale bar because I haven't found or designed one that I'm satisfied with for the map style.

Here's the link to the CC3 file: http://www.mediafire.com/?jzn3gzttgzy

There's a ton of 'extra' stuff on the CC3 file. I'm working on my hyperlink skills, and have put in buttons for Political & Geographical names, Altitude, Climate, Rainfall, and Temperature views (all of which you can get from Fractal Terrains, but I'm modifying them heavily - Temperature is the only one I haven't done anything with as yet). On the Climate view, I've put in additional hyperlinks: If you 'click' on the specific climate type in the bar the map will display only that climate, making it much easier to view the extents of that particular climate.

Eventual plans include hotlinks to 'gaming style' campaign maps, as well as hotlinks to specific regional maps - perhaps even to detailed maps of particular cities. Basically an interactive atlas for the entire world. What I lack in skill I more than make up for in ambition, I guess.

As always, I'm very much open to any questions, feedback or suggestions - this has been a learning experience so far and I want to keep going with that.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ihmlán CG.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	3.39 MB 
ID:	5226  
    Last edited by Mowgli; 07-13-2008 at 07:46 PM.
    Craig's Cartography
    Campaign Cartographer 3 User

Very nice. What is the scale?

Sigurd

Thanks!

The world is 25000 miles circumference. Total land mass is around 35000000 square miles, so close to the size of North America, Asia, and Africa. Land mass is around 15000 miles east to west, 10000 miles north to south including the small islands in the far north.
    Craig's Cartography

Map Am I Finished?

I added a scale bar, though something doesn't seem quite right about it - maybe the style doesn't fit the rest of the map? Anyone have a source for different styles for this map piece?

Also added more place names and refined the Altitude, Climate, Rainfall, and Temperature maps.

Any suggestions for refinement or changes are welcome!

Name:	Ihmlan 1.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	2.03 MB 
ID:	5797   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ihmlan 2.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	2.22 MB 
ID:	5798   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ihmlan 3.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	2.32 MB 
ID:	5800   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ihmlan 4.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	1.96 MB 
ID:	5801   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ihmlan 5.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	2.75 MB 
ID:	5802  

Craig's Cartography

The scale bar contains colors that aren't found elsewhere in the image. My suggestion is to export the bar by itself and recolor it in Photoshop or the Gimp. I like to use the simple bar without a cartouche, explode it, and change the colors and font. That doesn't work with the fancier bars, though, since they're not vector objects.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

I really like the names on this map, has a very celtic lilt to it, to me, though I don't know if that is your setting. One thing that jumps out at me is the fact you use a very stylized font on the map itself, which is great, I really like it, but the font for the scale bars is generic, takes a little of the continuity away from the maps flavour. Perhaps a different font would fit better for the scale bars.
    All in all I really like it, the names give it, to me, a sense of its culture, even though I have no idea what it is. Really.
    SeerBlue
    SeerBlue is me, but more importantly the Four Happy Carpet Orcs +2 (FHCO +2) are Lizzy (BumbleMouse, 16), Race (Raith Eliathy, 11), Roy (Ol' Horsehair, 9), and Lena Marie (Lemur, 6) Kimi (Whurm,2), and Sachiko (MoMo,1)
    All creative inspiration is theirs, from characters to maps to tells, I only fill in the details.

Quote Originally Posted by Midgardsormr View Post
    The scale bar contains colors that aren't found elsewhere in the image. My suggestion is to export the bar by itself and recolor it in Photoshop or the Gimp. I like to use the simple bar without a cartouche, explode it, and change the colors and font. That doesn't work with the fancier bars, though, since they're not vector objects.
    Good eye, thanks! I think that's what was bothering me. Maybe replace the reds with something coser to the darker parchment colors from the cartouche and rose?
    Craig's Cartography

Quote Originally Posted by SeerBlue View Post
    I really like the names on this map, has a very celtic lilt to it, to me, though I don't know if that is your setting. One thing that jumps out at me is the fact you use a very stylized font on the map itself, which is great, I really like it, but the font for the scale bars is generic, takes a little of the continuity away from the maps flavour. Perhaps a different font would fit better for the scale bars.
    All in all I really like it, the names give it, to me, a sense of its culture, even though I have no idea what it is. Really.
    SeerBlue
    The names are (very loosely translated) Irish Gaelic. The culture/setting has a slight Celtic feel to it, though my main purpose was just to give the world a consistent feel. I really like the sound of this language, the lilt as you said.

Thanks for the kind words and the suggestion for the font change - I hadn't even recognized that inconsistency.
    Craig's Cartography

Quote Originally Posted by Mowgli View Post
    Good eye, thanks! I think that's what was bothering me. Maybe replace the reds with something coser to the darker parchment colors from the cartouche and rose?
    Perhaps. I was actually looking at the mermaid in the rose and thinking you could try to match some of those colors. It wouldn't take too much tweaking to get close to that salmon color in her hair. A little desaturation, lightening, and perhaps just a touch of noise to match the pastels look.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Post Something Like This?

I think this is better - is it something like what you were talking about? I'm not really very good with Photoshop. I ended up sampling the color, filling the area, and then applying a sponge effect.

Name:	Ihmlan 01.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	2.03 MB 
ID:	5833  
    Craig's Cartography

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast