Thread: This place is cool!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post This place is cool!

Hello everyone! I stumbled upon your site about a week ago and have been hooked ever since. The amazing maps, the helpful tutorials, the supportive posts and advice. I am impressed, you should be proud of what you have built. I can't wait to get through more content.

I am an artist, mostly painting and drawing, with limited computer skills, so I always drew out my maps by hand (years of RPG). You have inspired me, I loaded Gimp 2.8. I actually created my first map, I'll try to post it again soon, didn't work last time I tried. I ran into some technical issues, I created an animated brush, which won't animate, and I can't figure out how to put words on paths, but otherwise it went pretty well. It took forever drawing everything out by hand (mouse), but that's part of the fun I guess.

I'm a fan of the Xanth novels, Rob Salvatore books and cool old maps. I'm trying to build a new art portfolio while creating RPGs and writing (poorly) in my spare time (and now a new hobby, fantasy cartography!).

I'm looking forward to trying isometric maps and learning more about texture and color. Has anyone found a way to replicate gold leaf?

I'm looking forward to learning a lot from everyone!
    Mr.Fatboy

p.s. if I posted twice I apologize, my browser crashed the last time I tried to post.
    Last edited by Mr.Fatboy; 02-03-2014 at 02:21 AM.