Thread: untitled,Japan inspired continent map

Map untitled,Japan inspired continent map

i need some help for these map made whit photoshop cs6.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mappa2.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	793.1 KB 
ID:	60984

Love the ink brush mountains. I wanted to do something similar once, but didn't really have enough control. What do you need help with?

I like the map. If I could offer some critique though: The coasts are really well done except fro where they pixelate or form moire patterns, those ought to be fixed. The rivers look good, but personally I would've started the strokes going from the sea towards the mountains so that they tapered as they neared their source. Also, I find the background texture a little too heavy for my taste. But keep working on it, with such a good start the finished product is bound to be great.

Edit: My mistake I thought this was in the WIP threads.

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    Love the ink brush mountains. I wanted to do something similar once, but didn't really have enough control. What do you need help with?

I like the map. If I could offer some critique though: The coasts are really well done except fro where they pixelate or form moire patterns, those ought to be fixed. The rivers look good, but personally I would've started the strokes going from the sea towards the mountains so that they tapered as they neared their source. Also, I find the background texture a little too heavy for my taste. But keep working on it, with such a good start the finished product is bound to be great.

Edit: My mistake I thought this was in the WIP threads.
    maybe i have posted it in the wrong section it isn't finished atm, i would change the texture backround but i haven't found one good yet, if someone have any idea for a good backround tell me pls.
    i have tried to also to put some wave on the sea but the result don't sound good i'am in searching of some good inch brush and some object like sea monster's, big city emblem ecc...

Guild Adept Facebook Connected aquarits's Avatar

I worked with a japanese like map time ago, is not the same style, but i have some information when i was studing to do one, wut costed 3 pages of forum if want to take a look, it started here: http://www.cartographersguild.com/ge...agacea-20.html

One thing that i guess that you need to work is try give a vertical and standing felling. Dunno right, maybe coz Japan have this format or the habit using flags or same dor kanjis. Looks like a flat shape does not fit right with japanese, but i beleieve cool for something as China based.
    Btw, the aqua brushes give a nice japanese painting that i really liked.
    Maybe smooth borders will be nice too.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Since it seems to be a WIP rather than a finished map, I moved it for you in the proper section

Guild Adept Facebook Connected aquarits's Avatar

Ohhhhh, just realized that you have the power now!

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Well I had to give Diamond a lot of bucks to have it but it seems that I haven't paid enough, since Bogie got the company car too

Blog Entries

*got all excited when I saw He-Man*

I thought it was a finished map, but I agree about the rivers... there's one in the middle that has a weird source from trying to fill it out
    Have you "liked" a post today?

I love the painting itself, and really, it's a beautiful technique I could only dream of. But you should think of your map more in the line of a middle sized island. I think picturing it that way would also help improving the coast line.
    And yep, those rivers need refining - they should get wider as they meet the sea, not the other way around, and they don't normally vanish away into a forest..

Yeah, I would guess a medium sized island as well. Not that you need it as your mountains already have a watercolor brush styling already, but I have a set of map symbols based on ukiyo-e woodblock print art in the map elements forum. I've used those to create my own Japanese style island maps, which I needed for the publication of a Japanese horror setting I designed for use with the Pathfinder roleplaying game, called Kaidan. Here's the first major island map for that setting, using the ukiyo-e symbols.

Yonshu island map.

All your rivers appear to be going in reverse direction. You've got smaller rivers joining larger rivers but the merge points away from the sea - that's wrong. Also the source of your rivers appear to be wider at the source, that too is in reverse. The widest point should be right before it flows into the sea. All your rivers seem narrowest at the sea with backwards pointing merges - you need to fix that. (see the River Police badge, under my avatar.)
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 02-03-2014 at 02:45 PM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations