Thread: Semi-random tile world generator I'm working on

Post Semi-random tile world generator I'm working on

Hi

I've been fumbling around with making my own random map generator for some time, and I thought it'd be nice to show off some of the results. I don't really have lots of time to invest into the tool right now, but if there's updates I'll post them here. I'll also try to come by at least weekly to answer questions, if any arise. Cheers.

The first part is the geograhic world builder. Currently it distinguishes between 3 height levels: plains, hills and mountains. The terrain is very cheaply generated, by drawing randomised mountain-ranges in lines, then growing somewhat randomly around those. The resulting terrains are decent simple continents, altho they do look a bit dick-ish. Here's an example screenshot of a map:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map-100x140-x4.png 
Views:	148 
Size:	15.4 KB 
ID:	60990

Here's the tool as it is now, i removed some dummy buttons (that do nothing) but it's still very "internal use" and probably no one but me can understands what all the things do, and more importantly, how they interact with each other:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map Creation GUI.png 
Views:	149 
Size:	42.2 KB 
ID:	60991

And finally, some example outputs, created with the save button.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map-200x400.png 
Views:	101 
Size:	7.8 KB 
ID:	60992  
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Guild Journeyer

Hello:
    Nice example. It is a great start. I gave up programing a long time ago. I understand what it can take to write something like this.

Well done.

Tracker

Thank you Tracker. The goal in the end is creating a whole world with cities and possibly hook it into a simulation or strategy game. Currently I'm mostly concerned about how slow the editing by hand is, because the Programming language that I use is very inefficient in displaying anything on screen.