Thread: The Town of Arlridge

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Cirias's Avatar

Default The Town of Arlridge

This is a little project I worked on over a couple of evenings. I wanted a fantasy town map for my DeviantArt portfolio, so I came up with this! Let me know what you think.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Arlridge.jpg 
Views:	277 
Size:	2.57 MB 
ID:	61063

Blog Entries

Aww. It looks like that peaceful, quiet village you always start in, and then.......... ADVENTURE!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	04_adventure_hobbit_620x350.jpg 
Views:	966 
Size:	122.4 KB 
ID:	61064

(It had to be done.)
    Have you "liked" a post today?

Guild Member Facebook Connected

Am I right in my guess that you used RobA's mountains tutorial? The prominence of the ridges below your mountains suggest so. If you did, you may have needed to repeat the fill with 50% Grey to remove or at least lessen those ridges. Otherwise, though, a good first town map.

A very respectable first stab at a town map, especially since it looks like you did this using GIMP, and town maps are far more tricking in GIMP than in Photoshop.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Quote Originally Posted by afters View Post
    Am I right in my guess that you used RobA's mountains tutorial? The prominence of the ridges below your mountains suggest so. If you did, you may have needed to repeat the fill with 50% Grey to remove or at least lessen those ridges. Otherwise, though, a good first town map.
    You're spot-on actually. I did wonder whether I needed to repeat that fill or not. It's only really prominent if you zoom in a bit. Definitely something to consider for future maps

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    A very respectable first stab at a town map, especially since it looks like you did this using GIMP, and town maps are far more tricking in GIMP than in Photoshop.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Thanks! I did do the entire thing in GIMP. I adapted the Medieval Town Map tutorial by pyrandon and used GIMP instead of Photoshop.