Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Just to clarify about mapping elements/textures/brushes/etc?

Blog Entries

Well, okay, so I scaled them down, and dialed down the bright tree-colors, and got this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	weird forest.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	152.8 KB 
ID:	61080

Which, although not as scary as the first, now just looks like green spots on the page. *sigh*

So,... guessing that either A) I should just use them for individual trees (or not at all) and find another way to convey forests, or B) Try it by drawing smaller more detailed trees from the start... then again, that gets into the color variation issue, so....

Yeah, I don't know where to go from there

I think I might try to switch to a more simple line style (whatever it's called?) on parchment, and see how far I get with that?

Or keep playing with my trees... I'm not sure atm because it's past my bedtime
    Have you "liked" a post today?

I would recommend to lower the colors saturation and a bit less luminosity variation.

Blog Entries

Yeaaa... the luminosity I will have to change the individual trees, I think

Blog Entries

Is this any better? >.<

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	weird forest.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	106.1 KB 
ID:	61094

Trees are my enemy on local maps. Having read tutorials and what not I still am not overly satisfied with the results. I have even gone so far as to consider investing in some more software, which grates on my cheapness. So if you come up with a solution I'd love to hear it!

Ok, the difference in color is still to big. Ideally, you should pick a color and put some tree randomly on the map. Then change the color slightly. I don't know which software you are using but you could either play with the different color sliders, saturation, luminosity... Just change it a bit so they look different. To get new colors it better to start form the original color and make a different change at each time.

I made an example here. I used other options such as random size and random colors (very low around 3%)

Attachment 61096

Blog Entries

Aye, I see what you mean. :/

I think my issue is still that I'm looking at a "tree" as a painter... not a mapper... I see a tree as a billion different shades of green on a leaf... and another billion on each other leaf, and so on...

But each tree in yours is just one color (basically) with highlighted and shadowed areas... so, what, 3 tones all together?

And most of the other trees are just slightly lighter or darker versions of that one.

Mapping is hard >.<

So... I just need to simplify things? Wouldn't it start to look kind of ... blah... like that, on a map of a much bigger area?

Quote Originally Posted by Jalyha View Post
    Aye, I see what you mean. :/

I think my issue is still that I'm looking at a "tree" as a painter... not a mapper... I see a tree as a billion different shades of green on a leaf... and another billion on each other leaf, and so on...

But each tree in yours is just one color (basically) with highlighted and shadowed areas... so, what, 3 tones all together?

And most of the other trees are just slightly lighter or darker versions of that one.

Mapping is hard >.<

So... I just need to simplify things? Wouldn't it start to look kind of ... blah... like that, on a map of a much bigger area?
    No need to simplify things. The forest I just made could be good on a small scale world map. Otherwise, the 2 trees in the top of the map might be better (maybe too dark). It's pretty much the same idea but with some stroke around and shadow/light layers.

For a very realistic approach I would recommend that you look into Gameprinter and Bogie works

examples:: http://www.cartographersguild.com/fi...ral-ruins.html
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/ma...village-3.html

and maybe there are some trees here idk : http://www.cartographersguild.com/ma...es-chairs.html
    Last edited by Azélor; 02-06-2014 at 03:27 PM.

Blog Entries

Aye, that's what I was trying for with my (original) trees

I still have too much color/light variation, though, I see what you mean there

Maybe I should just do outlines or something D:

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think you might be on the right track but try thinking more "regionally" At the scale you're working on you wouldn't be able to see individual leaves and probably not even individual trees. I think a representation of a forest might be more what you are looking for. You could achieve that with what you have by scaling them down and using them as a pattern. Good luck and keep it up
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast