Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Elandaria - Fantasy map commission

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Thanks very much guys, glad you like it

Quote Originally Posted by afters View Post
    Also, a minor thing I noticed: is it supposed to be Wayward's Simthy or is that a typo?
    The labels were checked by the client and it's not a typo

Quote Originally Posted by Lingon View Post
    Maybe I'm just imagining things… but are a lot of the place names really similar to A Song of Ice and Fire places?
    Indeed, some are quite similar but I guess it's up to the writer :/

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    The style is perfect for publishing. Do you know if he is planning on just a compressed version of this map in the book or is he going to have a foldout map to do it justice?
    This poster is just intended to be hanged on the client's wall Some B&W splitted regional maps are planned for the book itself.

Wow, that's a big map As always, exceptional mountains! The forests are not bad, but they could use a little more omph, imo (also, i think you should make them a little bit more visible...they are too lightly colored imo).

Coastlines are nice but the continental-shapes are a bit...weird...as is their overall placement (then again, this being a commission, i don't think you could do anything about that).
    As almost always with commissioned maps, i'd wish you could upload a higher res. ... i so want to go into more detail with this.

Have a Like (as usual) and i checked, i can finally rep. you again...so, have some Rep.!

Edit: Oh and what is the scale on this map? I really think mappers and commissioners should think about putting scale bars in their map...it helps so much in putting all into perspective and it can give a totally different view on a map if you know the scale of it.
    Last edited by Eilathen; 02-07-2014 at 09:50 AM.
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

This is a really sweet map. May I ask about your process for creating the mountains, or is it a trade secret?

Quote Originally Posted by Eilathen View Post
    Coastlines are nice but the continental-shapes are a bit...weird...as is their overall placement (then again, this being a commission, i don't think you could do anything about that).
    As almost always with commissioned maps, i'd wish you could upload a higher res. ... i so want to go into more detail with this.
    Edit: Oh and what is the scale on this map? I really think mappers and commissioners should think about putting scale bars in their map...it helps so much in putting all into perspective and it can give a totally different view on a map if you know the scale of it.
    Thanks Eilathen Indeed, I had mostly freedom on refining the coastlines, not really on the continental shapes There's no scale on the map, you know that clients don't always want one on their maps.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    This is a really sweet map. May I ask about your process for creating the mountains, or is it a trade secret?
    Thank you GWN. No trade secret here, the mountains are digitally hand-drawn on the map.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

gorgeous piece, though it irks me that I see maps this size (apparently very small scale, though as there's no scale bar i can't really tell) with rhumb lines rather than graticules - it makes no sense! though I'm sure that's not down to you.

Thank you! You're totaly right on this. Unfortunately, having no detailed informations on scale and whole world shape I had to deal with it. I could have tried some "fake" graticules but well...

Guild Member Facebook Connected The_Buce's Avatar
    Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire, United Kingdom

Awesome map! I think that the washed out colours make it seem very authentic. Brave to have so much land so close together - it invokes the feeling that continental drift is only just getting started on this planet Love it!

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by - Max - View Post
    I could have tried some "fake" graticules but well...
    good thing you didnt! it looks much better this way and would make no sense with graticules anyway

Quote Originally Posted by vorropohaiah View Post
    good thing you didnt! it looks much better this way and would make no sense with graticules anyway
    Hehe, that's what I thought

Quote Originally Posted by The_Buce View Post
    Awesome map! I think that the washed out colours make it seem very authentic. Brave to have so much land so close together - it invokes the feeling that continental drift is only just getting started on this planet Love it!
    Thank you!

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

Its simplistic in its singular elements but epic in its range of lands and continents. I always am in awe about your wellmade labeling, which breaths your map life.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast