Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: WIP: Since nothing is working (and I have ADD) a world from tectonics up

Blog Entries

While I'm waiting, I added some ocean color and cut out my continents/added a few islands

I think it actually IS kind of pretty in a way. Here's hoping it stays that way ^.^

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pangea.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	449.2 KB 
ID:	61187
    Have you "liked" a post today?

Quote Originally Posted by Jalyha View Post
    Aye I did that (though I think I posted it on another thread... but it was totally messed up.

I checked out your maps and your links again, and re-tried:
    Ok. You have the basic premise, but it looks like you missed two major ideas. First, it matters if we are talking summer or winter here because the pressure over land differs on the season. The other thing (and its related) is that it is different depending on north or south hemisphere. What I mean is that in the north, when its summer then it tends to be low pressure over land and high pressure over water, driving moisture laden air over the land, bringing summer rains (or even the rainy season, if you are in the tropics), while at this exact time the south is experiencing winter, which is characterized by high pressure over the land and low pressure over the water, pushing the colder air that builds up in the interior of the continent out and over the ocean. These two things happen simultaneously over the globe, depending on which side of the equator we are on. I doodled up this based on the map you posted as a guideline. I didn't take enough time to ensure its 100% accurate, so I'd look it over before committing to it. Also note that this is just for northern hemisphere summer, so you'd need one for northern hemisphere winter to get a full picture of your wind patterns.

Views:	184 
Size:	799.6 KB 
ID:	61193

Oh, also remember the Coriolis Effect because of the rotation of the earth. It means that the direction of your winds and currents turn in different ways depending on which hemisphere you are in. The map I made has the correct motions (I think , I'd double check, I', tired right now) so it should move you in the right direction.

SO... then I overlaid my heat map (which is pretty close but not quite a match)

So... either... one of them is accurate, and the other is off, or they are both nearly accurate but not quite, OR I'm doing this completely wrong...

And in any of those cases, they aren't even pretty to look at
    Again, I wouldn't worry to much about the heat map. It does look however like you are unilaterally equating high pressure with high heat. That is not entirely accurate. High pressure zones tend to be less cloudy, which means there is often a very high variability in temperature between day and night, which means that during the summer those areas tend to be hotter and during the winter they tend to be colder, on average. For my maps, though, I tended to just focus on distance from the equator and height, as those seem to have much more to do with temp than pressure. The pressure map is going to help you determine precipitation levels (along with a few other bits of info, like ocean currents and wind directions). When you know your precipitation levels, then you can compare that to the heat map and figure out climate zones and biomes.

I know this is a lot of information. Climates and meteorology are very complex things, and to try and understand it all enough to make a reasonable facsimile for a map is a tall order. Don't give up. I've been reading that website like its a holy book for weeks now, and I only recently have started really feeling like I understand it all. Just keep trying, and I think you've just about got it. And for all I know I could still be just a bit off myself (if so, sorry ). I'm still just a little unsure of the winds thing overall, especially in relation to the ITCZ, STHZ, and PF. Good luck!! Look forward to your next WIP!

PS Oh, and if I haven't said so yet, I do like the continents you have going on. Its going to be very interesting to see how things pan out because of all the differences from earth (both poles covered with land, most of the other land centered on the equator, etc). I think this is going to be an epic map once you have all the pieces in place. Have fun!

Blog Entries

I thought high pressure = dry and low pressure = rain? cause of the air rising and the book thing says water falls from rising air, yes?

the heat map... I kinda figured with so much land mass, it would be pretty hot everywhere?

AND with climate stuff, I was thinking it would be laid out like...

Attachment 61194

And then I had put it on my globe for testing

Views:	83 
Size:	297.2 KB 
ID:	61195

I'll look over yours and compare it when I'm a little more awake/able to comprehend where I went wrong

And thanks so much for helping me!

EDIT WAAAAAAAAAAITTTTT Yours is for northern summer? And mine was (trying to be) northern winter

And they are pretty much opposite, until I get near the south pole... does thaat mean I did mine right or even worse than I thought??? >.<
    Last edited by Jalyha; 02-09-2014 at 12:24 AM.

I thought high pressure = dry and low pressure = rain? cause of the air rising and the book thing says water falls from rising air, yes?

the heat map... I kinda figured with so much land mass, it would be pretty hot everywhere?

EDIT WAAAAAAAAAAITTTTT Yours is for northern summer? And mine was (trying to be) northern winter

And they are pretty much opposite, until I get near the south pole... does thaat mean I did mine right or even worse than I thought??? >.<
    My understanding is that is basically correct, as far as high and low pressure goes. But wind and mountains and stuff like that is going to alter what that means for the overall planet.

And yes, looking at yours for northern winter, it does make a lot more sense. Not sure why I was starting with summer, although probably because I've been working on a southern hemisphere oriented map. Good stuff. LOL.

Blog Entries

oh goodie!

Okay, so I have my northern summer (or fairly close) from what you made, and northern winter (or at least enough not to melt under the disapproving gaze of the entire guild) and so ... I don't understand what that means as far as my *wind* and *rain*

I'm trying to figure... I've got yellow (desert/very dry) and green (rain-foresty/jungle-y) areas, and a (very few) moderate areas (comparitively) (Ignore the darker parts near one side of mountains, I want cliffs/hills there)

So... would that map layout make sense with the pressure zones I (we) did?

If not, can I just take my computer and throw it at the wall? (kidding, kidding)

This stuff makes me feel stoopid x.x

Blog Entries

Actually, prolly easier to visualize if I play with paints, so...

Views:	89 
Size:	957.1 KB 
ID:	61198

AND on the globe:

Views:	69 
Size:	246.9 KB 
ID:	61199

Is it normal that the globe is stretched right left ? Also, I think the lightning effect is too strong. I know the desert have a strong albedo but this look more like there is a star between the planet and the viewer

oh goodie!

Okay, so I have my northern summer (or fairly close) from what you made, and northern winter (or at least enough not to melt under the disapproving gaze of the entire guild) and so ... I don't understand what that means as far as my *wind* and *rain*

I'm trying to figure... I've got yellow (desert/very dry) and green (rain-foresty/jungle-y) areas, and a (very few) moderate areas (comparitively) (Ignore the darker parts near one side of mountains, I want cliffs/hills there)

So... would that map layout make sense with the pressure zones I (we) did?

If not, can I just take my computer and throw it at the wall? (kidding, kidding)

This stuff makes me feel stoopid x.x
    Okay, the wind is done in with the pressure on the maps we've been playing with (They are the swirly bits coming off or going into the major pressure zones, btw). To get an accurate depiction of your rainfall, you have to take into account quite a few variables. A quote from the Climate Cookbook:

Code:
    Factor              High precipitation                        Low precipitation
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Pressure            ITCZ, on or near the equator              STHZ
    Mountains           Windward sides                            Leeward sides, in rain-shadow
    Prevailing winds    Onshore                                   Offshore or parallel
    Coastal currents    Warm                                      Cold, especially in low latitudes
    Location            West coasts subject to PF, and inland     Interiors
    What I did was make a numeric scale of relative rainfall (mine was 0 to 5) and go through and assign each major location a value. They all start at 2 (which is the median value). Then you go through and raise and lower values according to the chart quoted above. For example, a place on (or near) the ITCZ is going to go up by 1 while a location on (or near) the STHZ is going to down by one. Then I move on to Mountains, increasing numbers on the windward sides, and reducing numbers on the leeward sides. Only change a value by 1 on any single pass (Pressure, mountains, winds, etc). When you have done all the adjustments, normalize the values (don't let any values go above 5 or below 0, as such a thing doesn't exist) by simply moving anything above 5 down to 5 and anything below 0 up to 0. I then colored by numbers to create my two rainfall maps over in my thread.

Maybe I should work this up into a tutorial? Any way, see if this helps.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Azelor View Post
    Is it normal that the globe is stretched right left ? Also, I think the lightning effect is too strong. I know the desert have a strong albedo but this look more like there is a star between the planet and the viewer
    eh.... the stretching thing was "it's past my bedtime"-ness and you're right I should tone down the lighting I just forgot how I got it so bright (plus trying to hide the lack of any rivers/real mountains yet ^.^!

Quote Originally Posted by eternalsage View Post
    Okay, the wind is done in with the pressure on the maps we've been playing with (They are the swirly bits coming off or going into the major pressure zones, btw). To get an accurate depiction of your rainfall, you have to take into account quite a few variables. A quote from the Climate Cookbook:

Code:
    Factor              High precipitation                        Low precipitation
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Pressure            ITCZ, on or near the equator              STHZ
    Mountains           Windward sides                            Leeward sides, in rain-shadow
    Prevailing winds    Onshore                                   Offshore or parallel
    Coastal currents    Warm                                      Cold, especially in low latitudes
    Location            West coasts subject to PF, and inland     Interiors
    What I did was make a numeric scale of relative rainfall (mine was 0 to 5) and go through and assign each major location a value. They all start at 2 (which is the median value). Then you go through and raise and lower values according to the chart quoted above. For example, a place on (or near) the ITCZ is going to go up by 1 while a location on (or near) the STHZ is going to down by one. Then I move on to Mountains, increasing numbers on the windward sides, and reducing numbers on the leeward sides. Only change a value by 1 on any single pass (Pressure, mountains, winds, etc). When you have done all the adjustments, normalize the values (don't let any values go above 5 or below 0, as such a thing doesn't exist) by simply moving anything above 5 down to 5 and anything below 0 up to 0. I then colored by numbers to create my two rainfall maps over in my thread.

Maybe I should work this up into a tutorial? Any way, see if this helps.

Did you just throw math at me? D:

I'm kidding, I'm kidding I can do basic addition

Why can't they go above 5 or below 0? What if your world is so dry it SUCKS UP ALL THE MOISTURE from the surrounding air?

Sorry I'm kidding, I'll be good

I think a tutorial would be great. Call it "Climate for Dummies: Jalyha this means you!"

(Seriously I need that sometimes!)

But okay, I will see if I can follow this

Stay tuned !!

Blog Entries

Okay, so I did the numbers, and ended up with a LOT of 6 and 7's and negative numbers?

Views:	65 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	61217

Is that normal? Did I even do them right?

So then I converted them like you said to nothing more than 5 or less than 0:

Views:	70 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	61218

So the 0's... that would be desert areas, right?

Views:	70 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	61219

With 1's pretty dry, 2's and 3's (not many) being "normal"ish and 4's and 5's being really wet?

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast