Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: WIP: Since nothing is working (and I have ADD) a world from tectonics up

Blog Entries

No... biomes :s

Rainfall was on a prior page

I just hadn't added labels yet...

Why, is it wrong??? D: D: D:
    Have you "liked" a post today?

It's not wrong, but I have to guess what the colors means.

Dark green: wetlands, tropical...
    green: subtropical
    middle desaturated green: it's rare, IDK
    pale green: semi arid or Mediterranean
    khaki ?: steppe or something like that
    yellow: desert
    brown: alpine

oh and there still 2 oranges like colors and another brown and also a pale blue in the ocean but I'm not sure it's a biome.

Blog Entries

Nah, the ocean is just a generic background-ish color I made

You're pretty close to perfect with your guesses, but I'm going to add a key so you don't have to guess

Blog Entries

What am I doing wrong?

I tried to do the bump map thing to elevate my mountains and ended up with this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ibala.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	527.9 KB 
ID:	61495

Am I missing something simple?

I know this is a tad late in the game, I'm just going to mention this for if anyone else, in the future, decides to use this post as a basic guideline.

The direction your planet rotates, it's distance from it's sun(s), how many suns there are, how many moons there are, and even how many other planets are in that system, and their distances from this one, all would, some more subtly than others, influence not only wind currents, but ocean currents as well, thus influencing biome placement.

Keep in mind, Earth rotates counter-clockwise, causing the sun to rise east, set west, which influences climate direction (predominately west-to-east since surface moves faster than atmosphere.) Our distance to the sun effects average temperatures. The angle of our tilt on the north-south axis effects the temperature extremes, as does the orbital pattern around the sun. Multiple suns would likely compound this effect, especially at certain seasons. Lunar orbit would effect tides and ocean currents, which also effects climate. Again, multiple moons would compound this effect. We also show stronger tides the closer in alignment the planets get with Earth.

An example on how ocean currents effect biomes/climates is England is relatively mild, thus why they rarely get snow in winter, due to the Gulf Stream current. The same current is also why locations on the east coast of the US are more temperate than locations at the same altitude and longitude on the west coast of the US.

This map is so pretty and so amazingly in-depth, it's what's inspired me to try mapping for my own story. The work and thought you've put into this is astonishing.

Blog Entries

thanks I'm glad you like it! I'm sure yours will be better

Wow, the colours work so well together Jalyha! Really loving this so far. Can't wait to see what it looks like once you've added the labels and everything

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678