Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: WIP: Since nothing is working (and I have ADD) a world from tectonics up

Blog Entries

Wip WIP: Since nothing is working (and I have ADD) a world from tectonics up

or... sort of.

I found this tutorial on tectonics, read it all, decided it was more complicated than the tutorial stated, used the tutorial as the basis for drawing my plates, and now I'm going to peck away at it till I have a planet

I figure, I'm getting nowhere with anything else I'm trying to do, and I NEED a map for my novel, or I'm never going to write it. Plus I get bored if I'm only working on one map, so I need another area to turn to

So....................

yeah.

I drew these plates, and (from other posts in the tutorial thread and elsewhere) I know they move a little less firmly than the arrows show, so I've copied them down on paper, cut them apart, and am moving them by hand (fun) to see where they might end up.

I'm probably going to have to take lots of other pics of the movements to watch my landmasses change/grow/disappear, so I figured, "Why not post it on CG so that people can tell me when I screw up?" and then I said "What a great idea, Jalyha! Who cares what the experts say, you ARE a genius."

And then I spent about an hour chatting with me, and complimenting ourselves back and forth, and then tried to draw a big pangea-continent and it didn't work, so I came here to post!

(Aren't you glad I did?)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pangea.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	412.9 KB 
ID:	61105
    Have you "liked" a post today?

Blog Entries

Added a big ugly, vaguely-pangea shaped blob:

Views:	308 
Size:	364.2 KB 
ID:	61106

And I drew it all on paper and cut out the puzzle pieces.

After reading the comments in the tutorial listed above, and re-reading this one I was kind of stuck on how to proceed. I want to reflect semi-accurately all the different ways the plates move... but how, when I just have flat pieces?

So... my generic solution was threading each piece on a piece of string and winding them all (almost fitting perfectly, YAY) around a styrofoam crafting ball.

I think I will fold some bits down where they would sink back into the ocean, and look at the blank spaces in between that occur with the movement of the shrinking plates as new plate/land growth from the other side.

It might not work well, but I figure it's less random than just pushing the plates in the direction of my shaky arrows, yes?

Blog Entries

And... that way I had no way to tell what the new plates/land masses would be doing, so after a half hour of pointlessness, I switched to a bigger ball, bigger landmasses/plates, and some playdoh.

The playdoh worked better, and it only took about 5-10 minutes once I switched to that, partly because playdoh is easy to mold, and partly because I'd already figured out where the starting plates were going.... of course, playdoh smears, so... probably lost a little of my accuracy that way, and since I don't understand tectonics well, I probably messed up a lot.

And I stopped making mountains and stuff at this point, cause I've stopped moving my landmasses, I figure I've slowed down to real-time, so...

Here's what I'm working with at this point (The white thingies will be mountains/volcanic islands, the others are for my own reference.

I think the coastlines tutorials will help with the erosion factors, so the continents won't be so... blobby.

Views:	126 
Size:	557.9 KB 
ID:	61109

And that was the fun/easy part ^.^

Next, unless someone notices any glaring problems, I will rough up the coasts, and fix up the mountain ranges, and then I might work on wind/climate issues

I'm trying REALLY hard not to concentrate on anything aesthetic right now, so please, no one say it's ugly... I'll try to make it pretty once I have all the other stuffs worked out.

Blog Entries

Black and white o.o;

(My central continent reminds me of a prancing rhinocerous!)

(Yes they can too prance!)

Views:	116 
Size:	421.3 KB 
ID:	61112

AND on a globe... so I forgot the longer width thing, and my central continent is kind of stretched... I'll work on it in the morning:

Views:	130 
Size:	245.8 KB 
ID:	61113
    Last edited by Jalyha; 02-07-2014 at 01:06 AM. Reason: more stuff

What kind of projection is that 2D map? The majority of map projections (especially ones that are rectangles and not some weird shape) stretch the pole out along one or more edges, so it's pretty common that such an edge has to be filled with all land or all sea. To say otherwise means that the pole is right on the coast somehow. That COULD happen, but it's unlikely. That also gives you an odd channel that cuts through your southern continent and stops right at the south pole (but there might be some interesting canonical explanation for that).

Relatedly, anything that seems to "point" at the top or bottom edges of the map is pointing at the pole, so it looks like the north pole has three continents converging on it. Again, narrative significance reigns supreme, so if it's all for the point of telling a good story, then it's absolutely fine.

Blog Entries

No, no significance to any of this... just, where I tried to do the plates

I think I will try to fill it out with water, then

As for the pole... well... maybe a different angle will help?

Blog Entries

GAHHHHH!@

So... I thought I fixed my problem, and I put the map on a globe, and it looked perfect in the preview, but then the globe came out as an oval???

This is what I got, (the preview, and the globe itself) Anyone know how to fix this?:

Views:	139 
Size:	233.3 KB 
ID:	61128

Blog Entries

Annnnnd... I think I've pretty much got the shape of the continents, and the placement of the mountain (ranges)

Now I think I should do winds/climate? To figure out where the forests and deserts and things will be?

Views:	159 
Size:	294.0 KB 
ID:	61129

Quote Originally Posted by Jalyha View Post
    GAHHHHH!@

So... I thought I fixed my problem, and I put the map on a globe, and it looked perfect in the preview, but then the globe came out as an oval???

This is what I got, (the preview, and the globe itself) Anyone know how to fix this?:

Views:	139 
Size:	233.3 KB 
ID:	61128
    IIRC, you just have to scale the image (of the sphere) so that the height is the same as the width

Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    To say otherwise means that the pole is right on the coast somehow. That COULD happen, but it's unlikely.
    Wait, if Antarctica on Earth is gradually moving north, then at some point the South Pole will eventually be coastal, won't it? And the same would be true of any landmass moving south, or have I missed something?

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast