Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Odvaha map (WIP)

Wip Odvaha map (WIP)

This is my newest map, it's a bigger project and it is going to have a lot of little details. I hope I can make it the way I see it in my head. I have a lot of work to do but here is my progress so far.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	odvaha.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	447.5 KB 
ID:	61107

Blog Entries

It looks really interesting ^.^

I can't wait to see what you do with it!
    Have you "liked" a post today?

Thanks Jalyha!

An update with added rivers.

Name:	odvaha.2.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	482.9 KB 
ID:	61127

With some more work, I added a little texture into the sea but I'm not done with that yet, worked on my islands, and added a few forest.

Name:	odvaha.new.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	797.0 KB 
ID:	61145

Blog Entries

Ooooo it's looking so lovely already ^.^

I suspect you might be violating river laws. Rivers typically do not split into multiple channels, as you have depicted on the plateau.

Blog Entries

Pretty sure there could be an exception, though, with all those cliffs/falls... Like Goat Island in Niagara (which I should finish mapping >.< )

The river splits in like 10 places cause theres SO much water and so many big drops

Dunno if that applies here, but just saaying

It is entirely possible, it could be a delta. Anyway, I'm not sure if the rivers officers are still around. You know, union breaks...

It does happen, as I have said on another map. I even checked and wikipedia has found 7 instances where this happens in real life. Worldwide. That said, it's quite rare.

Easy, I would cut the river, that connects the lake in the south with the river system north west of the mountains. From the many river outlets, this looks like the mountains there are quite massive and it would require the water to flow upwards quite a bit to flow over those mountains. Sure, with enough water pressure, the water could break its way through, but this pressure will not happen, since it is connected to the ocean already on both sides.

The Plateau think is different. You looked at a river delta, I guess.
    The problems are, that
    1. This does not scale up. The Nile delta already is almost impossibly huge. If it was not real, it would not be realistic. Yours is magnitudes bigger.
    2. It really just works at the coast or really big lakes (where the sediments have time to set to the ground and are not simply washed down the waterfall. ).

At least remove the first disjunction on the top plateau, maybe a few more. One or two can fall under the "it's unlikely but possible" but when it's too many it looks weired.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHoarseWhisperer View Post
    I suspect you might be violating river laws. Rivers typically do not split into multiple channels, as you have depicted on the plateau.
    As others have said it is possible but also rare, but this is a fantasy map rare makes it look cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Maraxus_ View Post
    It does happen, as I have said on another map. I even checked and wikipedia has found 7 instances where this happens in real life. Worldwide. That said, it's quite rare.

Easy, I would cut the river, that connects the lake in the south with the river system north west of the mountains. From the many river outlets, this looks like the mountains there are quite massive and it would require the water to flow upwards quite a bit to flow over those mountains. Sure, with enough water pressure, the water could break its way through, but this pressure will not happen, since it is connected to the ocean already on both sides.

The Plateau think is different. You looked at a river delta, I guess.
    The problems are, that
    1. This does not scale up. The Nile delta already is almost impossibly huge. If it was not real, it would not be realistic. Yours is magnitudes bigger.
    2. It really just works at the coast or really big lakes (where the sediments have time to set to the ground and are not simply washed down the waterfall. ).

At least remove the first disjunction on the top plateau, maybe a few more. One or two can fall under the "it's unlikely but possible" but when it's too many it looks weired.
    thanks I will try and make those changes so my map looks more realistic. also just so everyone knows the plateaus are not going to stay that flat. I'm going to make them a bit rockier.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast