Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: February 2014 Entry - Cartographer's GuildHall :D :D :D

Blog Entries

Wow, that's a whole lot of really great suggestions! (and worded so humorously! )

I'll try to see if I can implement at least some of them (pretty sure I won't do the notepad text thing, because I use the formatting to find/edit what I've written faster than Ctrl&F can. (I'm very much a creature of habit)) but i have to do something so she doesn't burn my house down!

I can't write discs, but I can (and do) frequently save my pics/docs/videos to google docs.. but my understanding there is very limited, I don't know how to save/restore anything else?

I didn't know I needed to prop it up. (Usually it lays on my bed/table/sofa/kitchencounterinapuddleofdishwater/wherever I am. I will look into some kind of... stand or something. Gotta be cheaper than a new laptop/house, right?

I'll also try the task manager thing.

WAIT, there's supposed to be smoke inside my computer? D: What?

Oh, also I guess I could log out of the MMOs when I'm busy drawing... I'd probably die less/get other people killed less that way anyway....

You really think it's going to burn my house up? D:
    Have you "liked" a post today?

Weeeell, say the computer chips are MADE of compressed smoke :-) and if you let the smoke out you've had it. Burn your house? If you leave it off or idling when you aren't using it, no. Could light up your kitchen table maaaaaaybe...

Improv lap desk for cooling purely by better airflow: take one deep-ish cookie sheet and rack. Not as deep as this Wear-Ever brand example:
    Name:  RoastingPan.gif
Views: 170
Size:  19.7 KB
    That's a 15x10 inch roasting pan - a bit too deep, but illustrative of the rounded corners you want for something you're going to lay on your lap. Stick the rack in place with hot-melt glue or some rubbery craft glue. Run beads of the glue across the top of some of the wires of the rack, for grip. That way the (no longer) flaming electrobeast will stay put. With no holes on the actual bottom of the rig, you want the overall size bigger than the laptop in at least one direction so the air has somewhere to come and go freely. Remember the space between the arms of your favorite cartographing chair or any other size limitations. I'm picturing you trying your laptop in various cookware at WalMart :-). If it slips on your lap too much you could run more beads of the glue across the bottom surface too, as non-slip. Or do what i do to keep my mountain dulcimer in my lap - a piece of rubber-mesh keep-throw-rug-in-place stuff between object & legs. If you take it aboard the International Space Station or use it in roller coasters, substitute velcro for the glue.

Laying it on cloth is a serious problem because flexible stuff conforms to the bottom of the mapmakingmachine and practically seals the vents. Statistically I guess there's more dust going to come from cloth than from a hard surface too. Refer to the There I Fixed It section of the Cheezburger / Fail Blog website for examples of active cooling schemes :-).

Failing an appropriate cookie sheet plus rack, nesting cookie sheets would work - one deeper than the other. That would give you the delightful opportunity to put a whoooole bunch of vent holes in top and bottom both. Hammer & nail, drill & bit, punch, bullets, fireplace poker, ice axe... whatever best punches metal and relieves tension.

Failing that, there are flat plastic storage boxes that might be stiff enough. Or you could stiffen an unused pizza box. That would be really easy to put holes in.

At random points in the world, I have resorted to simply propping up the hinge-side of my laptop an inch or so with a book.

No CD/DVD writer? Yikes. Being able to back stuff up is pretty vital. Maybe a dropbox account and a friend or coworker or family member who could download your uploads and write discs for you? Or a internet cafe or library or other public-access machine? That might be harder to transfer to. Dropbox at least happens in the background.

As for the map - if you look at the NE and SW corners where you have a drop shadow -- that makes the picture look like a flat thing hovering above the ground. You need to smear the shadow a bit so it reaches all the way to the corner of the wall itself - imagine not only the (depicted) top visible layer casting shadow, but also the whole vertical edge of the corner. Other than that, it's developing some nice plausibility :-).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shadow.gif 
Views:	49 
Size:	2.4 KB 
ID:	61457

Blog Entries

Oh great ideas

(And yes, I am going to measure cookware at Walmart with my laptop... it's less crazy than some of the things I've seen while there.)

(Plus if you act like the crazy things you're doing are perfectly normal, people either don't notice or are too scared to say anything )

And the cloth thing makes sense.

If I have a dropbox thingie, can I just email stuff to myself and re-download when needed, or does it like... expire?

And OH that makes more sense about the shadows ^_^

I'll work on those first thing in the morning (also, I haven't updated because I've only worked on the big surprise and my other map, but I am working on this!!)

Could you make cookies on your laptop ?

If you have a USB port you could save your thingies on an extrenal drive or a USB key, they are pretty cheap considering I paid my first 1 GB USB key around 30$. It's still working but the protective cap is broken

Blog Entries

I do have one usb port I'd forgotten cause I just use it to plug stuff in, but I wonder if i could?!

Blog Entries

Surprise!!

The gallery floor is a map! Hooray!

Name:	guild.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	675.4 KB 
ID:	61482

Notes about other items:

The desks/items in the classrooms are not my creations... they're cliparts edited to match the rest of the map. They also aren't staying, they are there as reference/placeholders for me to create a classroom there later. Idk if that's allowed, but it's not staying anyway, soooo....

Also I like my black office chairs, and will probably use them a LOT cause they are so easy to make!

So I will probably replace a lot of chairs with these/similar chairs.

The map is just blobs of color I did in another file while looking at a world map in a national geographic magazine. I know it's not real accurate, but ... I LIKE IT. Uh....

Stairs were hard >.< I will probably re-use them on other floors!

Uhhhh... okay nothing else the rest of my map is still boring...

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

I'm personnally not a great fan of the painting digital filter you applied on your elements. It also clashes a bit with some sharp elments like the walls, the texture floor and some elements (carpets maybe?) ine the area close to the stairs.

Blog Entries

Yeah, I think I'm going to take it off... I still have most of the original ones cause I made copies

I wasn't sure if people would like it or not

(I put the filter on the walls too, but I guess not as strongly )

Blog Entries

Okay I took the oil effect off the couches and stuff, and added some little stuff, and finally made my own chairs/desks for the classrooms... not finished yet but wanted to see if it look better now before continuing

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	guild.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	892.4 KB 
ID:	61493

I thought without the oils, it doesn't really match the backdrop texture/my trees? But maybe it does, moreso than i thought? i can't tell cause i hate the whole picture >.<

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12