Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The world of Melody Box, spoilers included.

Wip The world of Melody Box, spoilers included.

A few of you may be wondering why I haven't updated for a while. The reason for that is simple, I've been almost completely redoing the plot. That is also one of the reasons why I've started a new thread instead of continuing the old one http://www.cartographersguild.com/re...ete-sevul.html. (some of the information I said is now untrue and I didn't want to confuse anyone.) The initial idea that started this story is "I want to make a story about a dragon" and one of my most recent ideas was "humans are aliens". I like to come up with ideas that don't fit together and somehow make them work. I have absolutely no idea where to start explaining the history so someone ask a question (not what do you have in your pocket) and I will try to explain from there. Oh I almost forgot here are the maps...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sevul top.png 
Views:	115 
Size:	2.87 MB 
ID:	61134 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sevul bottom.png 
Views:	105 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	61133

Blog Entries

What does the filthy hobbitses has in its' pocketses?

I'll start... (Assuming humans = aliens means dragons = native sentient species?) So... where do the dragons live? Are the icons on your map human settlements, or dragon?

If human, how did they spread so quickly?

What part/percentage of the whole world do the maps cover?

How/why did humans come to the world, and how are they affecting the geography?

Uhhhhh... can't think of anything else (or, rather, too many things, lol!) so.. yeah

xoxoxo
    Have you "liked" a post today?

Lol, ok here I go. First I have no idea what scale the map is. This world was a barren planet and then humans came to the world. The humans brought with them a device. (I call it the the Melody Box, you know it has to be important later on) With the melody box they could create living and non living elements which they used to teraform the planet making the habitats similar to Earths. Parts of their spaceship disconnected and landed on the planet to become domed cities while the melody box stayed in space to be a satellite (they stayed in contact with it though a large tower). The people were supposed to leave the domed cities and live on their own, but they didn't. They started to use the melody box for other things than they were supposed to; being able to store their memories and recreate their bodies granted them resurrection/immortality, they created new lifeforms (one of them being dragons), and though the melody box an individual (certain people of power aswell as dragons) could change the world around them, to a point. (I'm not quite sure what happens here so it going to be a bit vague.) Due to an unforeseen event the cities systems are brought down and most contact with the melody box cease. Because the people and dragons didn't know how to fend for themselves most of them died, but a few survived and.... Civilizations started to appear. people forgot most of their past and the dragons. People discovered that some of them had a power to control the world around them, this came to be called magic. A religion based on worship to the star moon (melody box) that gives them magic appears (they know that's what is giving them power because the closer it is to them the stronger the signal so their magic becomes stronger). Okay, I'm gonna take a break now, so if anyone wants something clarified or more history ask away.

Blog Entries

Vaguely reminiscent of "Memory of Earth" ... up to a point... and then totally different/cool

What are the dragons up to, while the people are forgetting them? Do the people with power know about the dragons? How do you keep the memory box from malfunctioning with no maintenance? (Is it gonna go NUTS?)

Are the dragons sentient? They have magic too, right?

(I love this, it's really cool)

Would you believe it if I said I thought of most of what I just typed yesterday? I like to work backwards. I think of an idea, then I ask why is that and keep going. But anyways there are still a lot of things I still need to think about but I can answer a few of your questions. The melody box doesn't go haywire it does exactly what is is programmed to do, but that may not be in the best interest of the people in the present day story. And yes the dragons are sentient and they do have magic.

Blog Entries

I believe it... I work that way too. I find that answering questions helps me think

WAIT if the melody box lets people create new species with their minds and someone didn't know they had magic and was thinking (the way storytellers are born to) about a vicious 6 headed goblin dog to eat up his meanie boss, I mean actually forming the thing in his head, would there BE a vicious 6 headed goblin dog? Or do they have to know they are making it... like giving orders or something?

The people in the story can create chimeras (a new creature created from combining two or more preexisting creatures) but, no the ability to create completely new creatures went down with the main connection (the tower) to the melody box.

Also you need to know about the objects you are trying to alter, the more you know the easier it is. In this case it is kinda like the true name system except knowing somethings true name is an unreachable concept like perfect.

There is an exception to this rule. If like you said someone doesn't know they have magic and somehow uses it while thinking of something they could potentially create a "ghost". Ghosts in this case are energy masses that take the form of the thought. In this world the laws of matter and energy exist, so the energy needed to create the ghosts has to come from somewhere and for someone who doesn't know about this they will most likely draw energy from themselves or from those around them which can kill them. Because of this magicians need to learn to control their power quickly. Also ghosts do not need to be in the form of something living or formerly living they can be an item or a place or even something that doesn't exist. And most ghosts are unstable and will most likely fizzle out after their energy supply has been used up, there are exceptions.
    Last edited by Robin Ryuu; 02-07-2014 at 04:26 PM.

Would tera forming a barren planet leave any visible effects on the world?

Blog Entries

Well obviously. Geographical changes... that's what terraforming is... But what do you mean, like... atmospheric changes, or changes in core/gravity/rotation? Or what the created life forms would affect the world?

Have you ever read the Soul Rider series by Jack L. Chalker? The 4th book in the series ( The Birth of Flux and Anchor ) has a vaguely similar high-tech settlers gone wrong theme. It's an interesting read, but I found the story trilogy (the first three books) and the final book to be a little peculiar. Good enough reads, but odd.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast