Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Ten Ilysan Possessions - Medieval/Fantasy Map (WIP)

Guild Novice

Default The Ten Ilysan Possessions - Medieval/Fantasy Map (WIP)

Hello !

So I here present you my latest map, a depiction of a world for which I haven't yet decided the name.
    I did it while following various tutorials and taking inspiration from many other fantasy map. I do not plan to illustrate the forest for now, but I may change my mind.
    So as says the title, it is the map of the Ten Ilysan Possessions, a fallen Empire now ruled by chaos and petty kings. The 10 Possessions are in fact 10 different cities that were sworn to the capital of the Empire, now a ruin, Ilys.

I haven't yet decided the position of the various cities, thought. Anyway. As I said, it's still a WIP. Sorry if the texts are in french, it's my mother tongue.
    So I welcome any feedback/critic, graphical or geological.

Have a nice day,
    Emile
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12458489593_8061268702_k.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	1.63 MB 
ID:	61298  

Blog Entries

I think it's beautiful

Trying to find something to critique, but I can't
    Have you "liked" a post today?

Guild Novice

Aw, thanks ! :3
    I realized how it is a honour, after reading your last blog entry.

Blog Entries

Lol, I'm ... just ... opinionated

Geography wise, I think there's a few things you need to set and let us know before we can comment constructively.

What is the scale of the map, is the sea D'Amariel the size of the Mediterranean or more along the lines of the Hudson Bay?

Where on the globe is this area located? And this implies a second question - what is/are the climates?

I think you grabbed a nice texture and the map seems a good start, but the rivers seem too many and too wide. And not only that, you have rivers starting in the middle of deserts. Plus, there seem to be a little too many islands and too randomly placed.
    I'm normally very critical, so don't let this put you off in any way - you have a good starting point.

Guild Novice

Hello !
    I now realize that the informations I gave were incomplete, and I apologize for that.
    What is the scale of the map, is the sea D'Amariel the size of the Mediterranean or more along the lines of the Hudson Bay?
    It was intended to be more in the lines of the Mediterranean, but it's pretty difficult to answer since these two are quite similar in size (well, if you look at it from a map). The Amariel sea is so bigger than the Mediterranean.

Where on the globe is this area located? And this implies a second question - what is/are the climates?
    It is intended to be in a similar position than Europe. But the scale is more or less different, the Sea of Amariel being bigger than the Mediterranean.
    I did a map for the biomes to help you understand better what I was thinking. Pale green being Mediterrean, middle-green humid continental, green subartic, green-blue (the light one at the top) -> toundra, grey -> semiarid, pale grey -> something between humid continental and semiarid, pale yellow -> between semiarid and arid, yellow -> arid, orange/yellow -> damn arid, light blue -> humid subtropical, middle-blue -> tropical wet & dry and finally blue -> tropical wet. (the Narros river becoming a delta while going into the sea)

The red line is the equator while the light-yellow ones are the tectonic.

Concerning the rivers, yeah, it is one of my weaknesses. I always tend to think that there is not enough rivers, and, meh, it gives that.
    For the island, I have to give you a point on this. But it is a Fantasy Map and, by exemple, the island in the middle of the Amariel are suppose to be created by tectonic + magic&obscure thing. Anyway.

Hope I gave you all important informations,
    Emile

Name:	12469115803_b68422ef02_k.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	1,020.8 KB 
ID:	61305  

Blog Entries

ummmm how did you decide on your biomes?

Guild Novice

Looking at a real map of the Earth and comparing with the distance from the equator, with a bit of fantasy for some part.
    I know I should have probably done it with the winds and the rain, buuuut... >_>

Blog Entries

Ah... well... I only say because a few people (me included) are working on biome-type projects right now.

It's not just wind/rain and distance from the equator that affects it... it's also how big/where in the continents it is, and which coast if it's on a coast and a lot of things

I'm not sure if it looks kooky to me because I've been staring at my map for 100 hours, or if something's really off with them...

Guild Novice

Ok, so here are 2 news updates. I deleted some rivers as well as some island, and I added island to more appropriates places.
    I think it is a little bit more logical concerning the biomes, also. (the yellow on the black-white image being the mountains)

Name:	biomes_!.png 
Views:	91 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	61313   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	geology_1.png 
Views:	64 
Size:	1,010.4 KB 
ID:	61314  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast