Thread: The Donation Link, Ads, and etc...

Blog Entries

Question The Donation Link, Ads, and etc...

I've seen the threads, from years ago with "We've started taking donations" and "we need to sell ads" and etc.

I actually think the way it's all handled here is fairly tasteful... I barely notice the ads, and there's nothing screaming "GIVE ME UR MONIES" which is great...

but there also isn't much information on how it all works, and since I'm nosy, I thought I'd ask!

I have lots of questions... stuff that's usually screamed at you on other sites, but I can't seem to find the answers here.

So....

1) The amount needed for the year in the banner on the front page:

Is that what the site needs to run for a year in total, or the cost of running the site AFTER the ad revenue?

If the former, does the "amount received" include ad revenues?

2) What options are there for donating? All I see when I click the donate link is a link to PayPal, and I don't (and probably never will) have a paypal account. Is there still a way for me to donate to the upkeep of the site? One of the old threads said something about exploring other options, but nothing was ever said about it after that?

3) The "gracious donor" bar under avatar.. is that for any donations? or just a certain amount? or for yearly contributers? Curious D:

4) Does donating affect the number/type of ads on the page?

5) Does the site get paid "per click" on the ads, or a flat rate for the space?

6) Does anyone other than the site... owner? Administrator? have access to the payment information? Cause we had a guy leave another site once a few years back in a rage and pretty much take everything x.x so yeh.. what level of privacy when donating?

None of this is really a big deal, I guess, but I like to know details before I open my purse
    Have you "liked" a post today?

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

I can't answer all of your questions, and I am not THE authority on ANY of these points, but here is what i have gathered. And people can feel free to put me in my place if i and wrong on any of these...

1 - I believe that that is what the site needs after expected ad revenue, and the amount is what has been received to date through the Donation Drive.

2 - This is one that I can't answer, and most likely only the Admins (RobA and Arcana (aka Robbie the site owner)) would be able answer with any authority.

3 - The Donor Tag is gifted upon those who have gifted during the current Drive. They are cleared after a drive is finished, right before the next one starts.

4 - This is one where I may be completely off base, but I believe that the adds go by-by after donating. But like I said at the start of this answer, I am not sure.

5 - I believe that is a bit of both. Every click-through puts money in the pot, and Arcana does rent out ad space. I think. He does post info in the CL forum, but I have trouble following it.

6 - I have NO idea who has access to that info. I DO know that there is no way for the CLs to find out without asking the Admins. Not that I have asked, and have no idea if any of the others have, but I have yet to find any mention of who gave what. I think that would be another one of the Admin Duties.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

2- I know that you don't need an account to use Paypal.

Blog Entries

Oh okay that clears up most of it, anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Azelor View Post
    2- I know that you don't need an account to use Paypal.
    Wait, you don't need a paypal account to donate, or you don't need a paypal account to use paypal?
    Have you "liked" a post today?

no you don't need it. I paid things with Paypal before but I don't have an account. They still got my informations so I don't know if there's a difference in having an account or not.

but does one need to have an account here to give to the Guild ?

I've been able to donate without a paypal account. They are more than happy to just get the merchant fees instead of having iron control over all of your money.

1) The amount needed for the year in the banner on the front page:

Is that what the site needs to run for a year in total, or the cost of running the site AFTER the ad revenue? That is the amount after the expected ad revenue that we still need to cover the hosting costs. This site uses a TON of bandwidth and a TON of storage fro all the hosted image.

If the former, does the "amount received" include ad revenues? Nope, the donation drive is above ad revenue.

2) What options are there for donating? All I see when I click the donate link is a link to PayPal, and I don't (and probably never will) have a paypal account. Is there still a way for me to donate to the upkeep of the site? One of the old threads said something about exploring other options, but nothing was ever said about it after that? It is only set up for paypal, but you can make a credit card payment through paypal. If you wanted to contribute in a different manner, PM Robbie (Arcana). What other options would people like? 1 time donations in other manners or subscription services like Patreon: Support the creators you love or Pozible | Crowdfunding Creativity ?

3) The "gracious donor" bar under avatar.. is that for any donations? or just a certain amount? or for yearly contributers? Curious D: It is for this years' donation drive.

4) Does donating affect the number/type of ads on the page? Not right now (sorry) but we have considered this a premium/regular donation/subscription benefit.... but I also know how many folks just use adblockers, so we've always dismissed this if it were the only perk... But if you do donate, please feel free to use an ad-blocker without guilt knowing you still contributed.

5) Does the site get paid "per click" on the ads, or a flat rate for the space? The randomly served up google ads pay a bit per impressions and more for matched ad words - how much depends on what the words are "worth". If advertisers contact us directly they can directly purchase a guaranteed number of impressions (times the ad will be displayed per month)

6) Does anyone other than the site... owner? Administrator? have access to the payment information? Cause we had a guy leave another site once a few years back in a rage and pretty much take everything x.x so yeh.. what level of privacy when donating? I can see the payments made through the donation system, but everything else including the paypal account, ad system, and accessing the funds is in the hands of Robbie alone.

None of this is really a big deal, I guess, but I like to know details before I open my purse

No Probs, sorry I just noticed this question....

-Rob A>

I use ad blocker, I am considered a sinner ?

Shame! Shaaaaame!

If it helps to assuage your conscience, how about this: as a popular contributor, the content you generate is a part of what's being "sold," and so is increasing the value of the ads by attracting more eyeballs.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name