Thread: CWBP2 Project Organization

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected 12rounds's Avatar

Default CWBP2 Project Organization

Like all collaborative work projects I've been following (mostly open-source software projects), this project is eventually going to need more than a bunch of people doing things.

I propose that CWBP2 should be split into sub-projects each and every one of them having a project group (and possibly a project lead).

Possible project groups could be:
    -Global Cartography Group (GCG; responsible for creating the overall world map, projections etc.)
    -Global World-Building Group (GWBG; responsible for creating the general setting, planet tilting, seasons, moons, climates, ocean currents, metaphysical aspects etc)
    -Cultures and Civilizations Group (CCG; responsible for the creation of the general guidelines on what cultures and civilizations exists now and have existed before)
    -Fauna & Flora Group (FFG; responsible for finalizing what the biology of the world's creatures, animals and plants is like now and has been before and why)
    -Technology and Magic Group (TMG; responsible for the creation of the metaphysics, possible magic and technological achievements both globally and culture-dependently and also deciding the history of magic and technology)
    -Deity Group (DG; responsible for the creation of belief systems both globally and culture-dependently and whether or not the systems are based on actual realities)
    -Low-Level Groups (LLGs; responsible for adapting the cultures and civilizations into the world based on history, legend, geography and whatnot - this would be the creation of actual locales, kingdoms, characters etc and could possibly be further divided)
    -Story Group (SG; people interested in creating both adventure stubs and / or stories taking place in this world)
    -Licensing Group (LG; responsible for deciding project-wide overall content licensing cascading into sub-projects and creating guidelines for sub-project participants; this needs to be done in order to avoid a complete mess afterwards)

Persons could then decide on what aspects of the CWBP they find most interesting and participate on that or those.
    I don't think an unorganized project is really going to work.

However, this would require some technical alterations like sub-forums.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by 12rounds; 02-01-2014 at 08:48 AM.

The CWBP 2 is no where near as focused as a software project, nor am I inclined to have project groups working on various things to the exclusion of others. Which is not to say that there should not be sub-categories as you suggest with various threads (or sub-forums if we are lucky) dealing with them. It is obvious that the project needs to be organized, I agree, I do however think we should be mindful that this is a group project and not meant specifically to produce some finished project, but rather as something people can get together in and have a little fun with. Frankly I'm hoping that it continues to be an ongoing project for the guild for quite a while. As I understand it the only reason the first CWBP shut down was due to technical malfunctions, and spam.

Tag added.

I agreed with the subforum idea and I appreciate the time you took to develop the idea. But I'm with Falconius on this (for one! ). Multiple threads are ok, groups are not. But maybe I misunderstood your idea.
    Anyway, I think that people will do what they want to do, so there is no need to be rigid with the organization. Still, we need a bit more organization.

Edit: and I think you are misusing the word metaphysic, better to stick with physic it's much less complicated for most people.

Edit 2 : -Licensing Group (LG; responsible for deciding project-wide overall content licensing cascading into sub-projects and creating guidelines for sub-project participants; this needs to be done in order to avoid a complete mess afterwards)

Could you develop here or in the other thread, your views about licensing ?
    Last edited by Azélor; 02-01-2014 at 02:42 PM.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected 12rounds's Avatar

No need for any rigidness nor deadlines nor anything else but organizational structure. Without organization I don't really see a successful path ahead. Most of the "groups" I listed will be mostly dormant at first anyway and perhaps activate only if there's enough people to warrant it. Having a structure in place should that happen is not going to hurt. Project leads are probably not needed unless somehow this attracts dozens of people.

Edit: and I think you are misusing the word metaphysic,..
    Quite possibly since English is my third language. The point is that there should be some ideas developed to answer questions such as: 1) have the people of the world evolved there, created by deities, migrated from an other world etc, 2) what if any realms of existence are known to the cultures of the world beyond of our Earth 3) what are the belief systems based on; bent physics, actions of supernatural/immortal beings manipulating the world or are they only extensions of imagination. There's more, but I hope this clarifies it a bit.

Could you develop here or in the other thread, your views about licensing ?
    When the project has started and maps and other images have been created and attached to it, it's already too late to think how and to what end the outcome of the project and it's individual components can be used.

There's always the possibility that the project evolves into something worthwhile - something that has an actual potential to attract people outside the enthusiasts who created and worked on it in the first place. This should be thought of beforehand and whatever the net result is, it MUST be communicated to whoever participates - it benefits everyone to know what are the project goals and what - if any - restrictions every participant should adhere to when they participate.

Personally I'm not really interested in just fooling around for laughs but aim on being part of developing an actually usable world on which to base stories, adventures and gaming sessions. Part of that aim is to acknowledge the possibility that at one point we might have a wider audience. Again, personally, I don't really see a problem in having a commercial aspect (ie. actual publications based on CWBP or expanding it) although I understand it to be a very remote possibility.

My bad, I should have considered that you where from Finland. Confusing since you english looks good to me. Anyway, lots of people use the word in a wrong manner in english and french...

About the serious business on licensing :*I agree with you that we should try to have as many options as possible.