Thread: WIP - Isles of Ivaru

Guild Applicant

Wip WIP - Isles of Ivaru

So first post on this great forum and my first map I made in photoshop except the nonserieus paint creations. I made this map by cutting and pasting some parts of land (after clouds and treshold), the first time I got the great isle in the middle and I decided to just simple cut and past multiply islands in stead of merging them together to create one land. Now I have drawn the mountains, forests, grass etc. so I have an idea where I have to put them (by the help of brushes and paterns, I already have them but if you have some nice ones your free to post).

Now about the story of the islandgroup: I started the map with the idea of splitting the land in a part lived by humans and an elvenpart (I split the areas by a red line, north is elven, south is human) and I tried to give the land of the elves more elf names and vice versa (although I ain’t so sure about the three island names in the southwest, they don’t sound that humanlike as I wanted them to be). I had the idea that both sides would be in war so I also want to put in some base/attack camps and not only cities, but that won’t be much of a diference since I don’t draw the cities but just use icons or something o/
    Anyhow, just posting to get some feedback (or textures if you have some good ones) from the experts or suggestions for nice city/river placing/names.

Ps, just to make clear: I will draw the mountains and use paterns for the water/forests but I just use this colors for now to give myself and you guys an idea where they will come.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	islesofivaru.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	780.1 KB 
ID:	5555  

Guild Applicant

Ty
    Yes I am going to work on it for some time, but I'm actualy not sure what to do. How longer I look at my own map how more I like the simple colors, so maybe I stick with that instead of adding mountainshapes and forestpaterns and start working on the cities

I think that's a great idea. Position the cities first and then it will be easier to see where you want to place the forests and mountains if you choose to put them in.

Guild Applicant

I most of the time do it the other way around. First I place the forests/mountains and stuff because "they where here first" and then I place the cities depending on where the mountains are (because the cities must be protected by the mountains or hidden in the deep forests). I did the same this time, placed a hell lot of cities (16 elven and 13 human) and I decided to don't keep the sea plain white and keep those simple colors. I have now used a light blue texture for the sea and I think it looks wonderfull. Now all I have to do is placing the rivers (wich isn't that hard because I let them flow along the cities most of the time), placing the mountainbrushes and filling the forests with a nice texture, I will post the map I have at this moment tomorrow (before doing al those things I just mentioned)

Welcome to the Guild Rix! Nice start. I look forward to seeing this as it develops.

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Applicant

So here it is, the same map with the city names on it and I did put the mountains on it, this because photoshop draw my attention before FireFox did. I decided to let the colors of the mountians stay even if there are no mountains on it, I thought this looked better than without the graycolor
    All I need to do next is draw the rivers, wich won't be that hard, and maybe add some foresttexture if I can find a good one

Hmm looks like I forgot two lakes on the Isle of Sorumogim, I fixed it now in photoshop but I already uploaded the jpg file so I won't upload it again
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	islesofivaru2.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	2.26 MB 
ID:	5599  

I think the map can really be improved by better mountains. Look at Happimess tutorial on drawing mountains. It may be time consuming but it will make your map really shine!
    lovely work on the sea!