Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WIP inked style Dungeon map

Wip WIP inked style Dungeon map

Thought I would take a break from higher detail maps to do something more nostalgic in the form of an older ink style dungeon map. Don't have all the interior elements in yet but have the basic outline and my initial ideas for the style. I know I need to play with the relative opacity of the different layers, and I made my own crosshatching pattern that I'm not all together pleased with. Are any of the current elements too incongruent or jarring and aside from the interior elements (fountains etc.) is missing?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ex6inkV1.jpg 
Views:	447 
Size:	3.70 MB 
ID:	61257

OK so here's the next level of filling:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ex6inkV2.jpg 
Views:	476 
Size:	3.48 MB 
ID:	61295

Not sure about the north south arrow at the bottom. Seems likes its just floating there compositionally, but I almost like it and I disliked the big blank space that was there. Not sure if I need to add any more details, like crease lines, or just call it good as is.

It looks great as is. I do agree that the North South arrow needs something, but I'm not sure what to suggest.

I really like the crosshatching you've got to accentuate the walls.

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected

I really like this map too.

You should enter this into the Lite Challenge, I think your compass symbol allows it to meet the entry requirements.

I'm still mainlining tutorials. I want to make my challenge maps specifically for the challenge at hand, though I am hoping to enter one soon. I made and tiled the crosshatching myself for the last one. I couldn't find anything quite like I wanted at a good enough resolution a bit time consuming for something so simple but our brains love to catch on the details. I should post it for anyone who wants it at some point, but it still needs some touch up in places.

Quote Originally Posted by madcowchef View Post
    I made and tiled the crosshatching myself for the last one.
    Now I like it even better! I can compliment you not only for your compositional choice, but your creative abilities as well.

Guild Journeyer

Really nice-looking. I think the squiddly statues are a great touch.

Have you tried playing with the compass position relative to the grid. Aligned as it is, it doesn't really stand out.

Maybe use a subtle brushed steel type pattern running along the long axis to differentiate it from the rest of the map?

Where did you find the tutorials for the cross-hatching fill around your cave walls?

Looks great - love the elevation lines!.
    -GP
    Larger copies of my maps located on flickr and can be used for your enjoyment.

Hmm I didn't have any tutorials I just saw the style of cross hatching and emulated it myself. My relatively quick version has some imperfections though. Its about like making any other seamless texture, set the pattern, use the offset tool if you are using Photoshop and then clean up the edges.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast