Thread: The City on the Lake

Default The City on the Lake

So, this is my first map, and it's not anything special, but as an initial run I'm pretty happy with it! it was made in GIMP, and this has taught me so much about the software. Any feedback would be appreciated, of course!

I'm also sure that the landscape is better than the city itself ...

Alright. One, welcome!

Two, the city is actually VERY good, it's got interesting features, etc. The only thing that "bothers" (largely my own opinion) me about it are the side roads. They look silly, just draw them out like the main roads, except using a smaller brush. Tedious? Maybe. Good results? most definitely!

Third, attachments, learn that shiznit! This forum is one of the few that allow you to upload your precious images directly from your PC!!! and holy bejoly it's a lot better than photobucket! (which is what I used to use.)

Fourth, aside from point two, there ARE other criticisms to give, but I believe people should develop their own style and don't really want to influence you TOO much. So I won't give them! On the whole however, an excellent first map, especially considering GIMP which you implied you may not have the most experience with, although you'll find it to be VERY versatile (except for large file sizes sometimes D.

Good job!

EDIT: almost forgot to mention: for future reference, if you intend to continue to work on the map, it's usually best placed in 'Mapmaking Discussion & Philosophy' subforum area thing. One 'cause it ain't finished, and two, 'cause it'll prolly get more view there!
    Last edited by Scoopz; 02-11-2014 at 03:05 PM.

Blog Entries

Welcome

I think it's a great map, and a cool city. I look forward to seeing your next map!
    Have you "liked" a post today?

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Cirias's Avatar

Hi Malochai!

Fellow GIMP mapmaker here and I can certainly see the various techniques that have gone into this. If I'm honest, I think the land/terrain could use a bit more depth and shading to make it "pop" and make it appear less 2D. A really great tutorial on this is here: http://www.cartographersguild.com/tu...photoshop.html

It's for photoshop, but you can easily adapt the techniques to GIMP with a bit of tweaking.

But overall, nice work and I hope you keep creating maps!