Thread: How can I make a mountain in GIMP?

Help How can I make a mountain in GIMP?

Ok so Im trying to make a mountain for a map for another website I play on (its call Conquer Club, and online risk site) and try as I might I cant make a decent looking one!

Before Ive made a decent looking mountain in GIMP using only an airbrush, but that was months ago and my memory tends to forget things like that....

ANYWAYS, I decided to try making one using bump map, but try as I might I cant figure out how! Ive looked at a couple of tutorials here, but they lose me after step 2..... meaning the author starts using big complicated words and tools and such that I cant figure out how to use or where they are at. (oh btw, the one Im referring to right there is the only one for GIMP on page 2... for making mountains )

So yea anyways just wondering if anybody could help....

Go onto the Members List and look up a user called Hapimeses. Under his profile, go to statistics, then go to search all of his threads. He did a nice little tutorial that, I believe, was for GIMP. Check it out.

It would be helpful to know exactly what kind of style and scale you need. Can you point us to or post an image that shows what you are trying to accomplish?
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Quote Originally Posted by Midgardsormr View Post
    It would be helpful to know exactly what kind of style and scale you need. Can you point us to or post an image that shows what you are trying to accomplish?
    oh yea sure I can do that

Ill post a picture of the map that Im working on (its kinda a different style than the ones Ive seen so far here, mine is for conquer club (another website i play on) so that is why)

also, its the mountain next to the dessert (dessert, desert, i dont know if which one to use, so i might have used the wrong one lol)

ignore the legend if you like, its semi-instructions for how to do certain aspects of the map once its finished on and is made live for play on conquer club (which is a online Risk game basically)

oh, and that was the last picture that I uploaded of it. The latest looks a tad bit better for the castles, borders, and what-not

(oh and if u cant see the mountain for some reason, its right where the horrible snow cap is (all that white) in the brown land region)

edit: oh and btw, I had already looked at the tutorial by h....... oh well i cant remember the rest of the dudes user... anyways its a great tutorial but it wont work for this map

bryguy, if you take a look at the "Playing with Mountains" thread started about 2 months ago, let me know if any of those suit your fancy. The post Tim (thecartographist, but not his real name....) mentioned is for ISO mountains and is an excellent tutorial done in Photoshop (but the techniques are basic enough to translate) if you prefer that style.
    Last edited by RobA; 07-29-2008 at 11:51 PM. Reason: Added link to thread
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

If you're using Photoshop, then just render up some clouds, do 2 difference clouds, run a lighting effects (use a spotlight and play with the sliders until happy) then just crop out a mountain you're happy with. Of course Terragen 1 and Bryce 5 (both free) can make more photo-realistic mountains but I'm not proficient with them to any great degree, I just try to make PS do what all of those other things do as well as I can.