Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fantasy region map WIP

Help Fantasy region map WIP

So I was cruising along on the map for my current RPG group and it was turning out just how I wanted for a change, right up until it came time to put down markers for towns. I usually do much simpler maps with little house icons but that's not in keeping with the style of this one. I tried several different things but feel like I've been staring at it too long as everything I've tried is beginning to look increasingly wrong. I marked out what I've tried so far, I like #6 the best but it is a bit hard to see, #3 seem the second least horrible. Are any of these appropriate or am I barking up the wrong tree? Suggestion greatly welcome.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ex7V2.jpg 
Views:	291 
Size:	3.83 MB 
ID:	61309

Blog Entries

what is it with trees today? Now you're barking up them? D:

Seriously, though... I think 4 looks like what you would see on a map on a wall in a military/government office, or in a boardroom or something.

6 is pretty.. the others I don't really like... but... couldn't you do like...

Know how those cities look on the maps that use the mosaic filter on gimp to randomize the buildings?

What if there was one of those "houses" but it was square, like a wall, with little dots in it to look like a mini-city?

(no idea how to draw that at the moment, or even if it would be a good idea, just thought it would look cool/different...)

or you could use like... little shields with the ruling families ...

Idk :/

I can't even label my own stuff yet

Pretty map, though!!
    Have you "liked" a post today?

I like the semi-transparent #1 for its subtlety. I would probably choose #6 or #3 for my second and third preferences. #2 and #4 are kinda ugly (no offence intended). #5 has some real promise, and could be great if you change it a little (I like it's slightly dusty appearance). Hope that helps.

THW

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I think 3 is my favorite, followed by 5. 6 isn't bad at all, but as you said it's a bit hard to see. If there was a way to make it pop a little bit more without being too over the top, it may look the best of all of them.

On a separate note - that's a pretty fantastic map.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Excellent map! Amazing rivers especially, I love how squiggly they are and how they really look like they've carved deep valleys in the landscape. Very well done

As for the cities, I have to disagree with the rest and say number 4. It's a brilliant idea. I really like a well made satellite map, but I almost always feel the icons look out of place. Those pins are the first I've seen that really matches. The others are nice too, but number 4 is unique and totally perfect for this style, IMO.

That said, I don't think the frame and cartouche match the map equally well. Something simpler, cleaner and more modern would fit better. I know you want to tie it in with the setting by using that parchment piece and the cracked border, and I do like some good contrast and dissonance in pictures… but in my opinion it gets too strong here. It is possible to choose a modern graphical profile even if the setting is medieval-ish.

Great map!

Excellent advice one and all, thanks so much. After looking over comments and seeing the elements that seemed favored, I came up with a new set. I intended them to look like fancy pins someone had stuck in the map, which I failed at, but I like them none the less (I'll try that idea again some later map, maybe work something up in a 3D rendering program so it looks right perspective wise.. I also changed the style of the cartouche, I think your point was excellent there Lingon. No just to add to many names routes etc.

New set
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	icons.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	120.0 KB 
ID:	61330

Hmm worked it up with these and it really didn't do anything for me. I think I'll try Jalyha's idea and try to draw some little towns on and let the labels do the heavy lifting for indicating the towns.

Blog Entries

Oh I liked the new set too, sorry it didn't work >.<
    Have you "liked" a post today?

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Y'know, I was thinking about #4 again, and I'm starting to agree with Lingon. What if you added a shadow to the pins to make them really look like physical objects stuck in the map?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast