Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Atlas Elyden

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Centering the map so one longitude is vertical is certainly the usual way, but I think the tilt is pretty cool. Not a lot of people do it, so it gives another element of Vorro to the maps

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Vorro, you magnificent SOB! These are great so far. I was wondering where you'd got off to; good to have you posting again!

If I'm not mistaken, one reason for unusual graticule orientation may be to most effectively center/orient the region being mapped on the piece of paper. In the Tzallrach one in particular, if vorro was to horizontally/vertically square up the graticules with the paper's edge, he'd have large zones in the southeast and northwest that really aren't the main focus of the map and would contribute nothing but dead space to the map. With this orientation, only the essential zone/area being mapped is shown and one can still get a sense of direction from the graticules.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gilgamec View Post
    I'm referring to the fact that none of your graticules are aligned with the page, either vertically or horizontally; maps I've seen generally have the projection centered inside the area being mapped, which causes the lines of longitude to be close to vertical. This means that your maps, where all of the lines of longitude (well, the vertical lines at least) are leaning the same way, look like they're all taken from one side or another of a larger map.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, one reason for unusual graticule orientation may be to most effectively center/orient the region being mapped on the piece of paper. In the Tzallrach one in particular, if vorro was to horizontally/vertically square up the graticules with the paper's edge, he'd have large zones in the southeast and northwest that really aren't the main focus of the map and would contribute nothing but dead space to the map. With this orientation, only the essential zone/area being mapped is shown and one can still get a sense of direction from the graticules.
    Ah see what you mean now, though Diamond explains it better than I was managing! It's certainly not the norm though some maps of the period I'm emulating, especially atlas pages, tend to do this. Thanks for bringing it up though as thats the sort of critique im looking for - anything i might have missed myself!

On Earth, at least, lines of latitude run east-west, while lines of longitude run north-south, so you see "90 degrees longitude east of Greenwich" and the like.
    Gah, you're right! That was an honest mistake on my part, mixing up the one with the other - thanks for pointing that out!

Quote Originally Posted by Jalyha View Post
    I think the projection is fine. Not all maps are centered north-south, and every map doesn't have to conform to the "norm".
    Quote Originally Posted by Lingon View Post
    Centering the map so one longitude is vertical is certainly the usual way, but I think the tilt is pretty cool. Not a lot of people do it, so it gives another element of Vorro to the maps
    thanks! I was waiting to see what other members thought of this, to see if there was a general consensus for orienting the grats to the page, though I think I'll keep them as is. These are meant to be purely functional and in that regard I think the orienting of individual maps to better fit into the page makes more sense.

I've been working away at more of these, trying to get the neatlines and graticules out of the way on as many maps as possible (very tedious, and possibly the most time-consuming part of each map, other than the labelling, probably). Got nine done in all so far. I've tinkered a bit with the degrees - making every tenth number bigger than the others. And I also tried my hand a little characterful thing I often see in atlases - making certain areas protrude form the neatline as way of better using page space. i think they look quite nice, though wondered what you all thought?

I've also started coming across areas of maps whose peripheries copy maps that I've already made, though in different orientations and scales, it's been fun challenging myself to make sure I'm not changing any areas and that everything aligns up properly - for instance the bottom right of the new Venthir map includes the bottom left of the Tzallrach (Char Mathi) map; or the entire right-hand side of the Korachan map is repeated in the Pelasgos map. To make sure I don't map the same coastlines twice with different results I'm using the same land layer masks on different maps when they share land area - the best way to make sure coastlines remain correctly proportioned to one-another and properly aligned. I'll be coming across this more and more as I go along.

Something else I'm also thinking of doing is dividing larger nations or those with lots of different territories, like Almagest and Korachan, respectively, into many smaller maps with more detailed information - like perhaps heraldry or other pertinent information.

Included in the new maps is a map of the Haréshk, which some of you might remember is a region of my world I've already mapped. That was a native map, this will be a foreigners' map of the same region. This map also contains a small inset map of an island that's part of the Haréshki kingdoms though which did not fit on the page - I'm pleased with it but I'm not sure it's entirely clear. any feedback on this? I've also uploaded a resized and re-oriented version of the Korachan map that's been changed to be more in-line with the new pages.

*more maps on post #1

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Almagest.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	680.9 KB 
ID:	61470 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hareshk (new).jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	690.8 KB 
ID:	61471 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Korachan.jpg 
Views:	328 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	61472 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pelasgos.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	751.7 KB 
ID:	61473 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Venthir.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	711.1 KB 
ID:	61474

*the cartouche on the Pelasgos map is not final as it covers up most of the pertinent land mass. Having said that the cartouches are just place-holders for now and might be removed completely or changed

Quote Originally Posted by Korba View Post
    Once comment from me (also on the Shibboleth map) is that in the far south you have a river system that looks like it forms a ring, might be a canal etc. but thought I would mention.
    well im no member of the river police, but there are upland regions separating the different branches of the river. as an example of scale - one degree of latitude is 105.04 miles
    Last edited by vorropohaiah; 02-16-2014 at 01:01 PM.

Blog Entries

I like them all

I *personally* don't like the place where it goes past the neat lines, (probably my OCD), but I can see where it would be useful

Everything else looks good to me
    Have you "liked" a post today?

Looking good as usual. I don't have an issue with extending parts past the neatline - I've done it myself in the past, and as you said, it IS an established practice, so it's not like you're breaking down the very barriers of reality!!!!!

As far as that island on the Hareshk map - the placement of it now makes it appear as though the land in the southeast corner of the map is an isthmus. What about moving the inset map up above the cartouche?

Looking great vorropohaiah, can't wait to see the finished product.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    As far as that island on the Hareshk map - the placement of it now makes it appear as though the land in the southeast corner of the map is an isthmus. What about moving the inset map up above the cartouche?
    I can see how moving it away from the corner might make it clrearer - but I'm not seeing the isthmus you mention. can you elaborate?

Guild Adept

Now this is a WIP to follow! Looking forward to this run of maps for sure. great work.
    Upon the Creation of the World the First Dragons cast their seed in the light of a Sun and a Thousand Suns, beneath the Moon and a Thousand Moons, on a World and a Thousand Worlds.

www.sistercontinents.com

Here you go...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HareskIsthmus.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	326.9 KB 
ID:	61514  

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast