Thread: First (somewhat) World Map - Looking for all feedback

Map First (somewhat) World Map - Looking for all feedback

Well, I am currently creating a new homebrew RPG campaign setting, with mostly standard D&D background. The map started out as a complete world map, but it now ended up showing only parts of it. It took me about 12 hours total, although at least half of that was trying to figure out what tool does what (which I still don't know, really). I used GIMP, a parchment texture, free-to-use brushes for map making, and thrown in a cloud render for more texture.

I know I am not really happy with it yet, but cannot even say yet what it is that bothers me. There should be hint at ice sheets / north pole at the top, the forests look to regular, especially the jungle on the southern continent/island. In addition, I realise I am not good at creating a believable world climate, I guess. Oh, and I wanted to draw mountains, forests, etc. on my own as well as paint the map in shades of green and yellow hinting at the varying fertility of lands at first, but could not, for the life of me, figure out how to do that without it looking like I had a stroke while trying.

I am happy to get any hints, tips, critique or thoughts. I know I have quite a ways to go to be able to make stuff that is even half as good as what is posted on this forum here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	First try.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	308.2 KB 
ID:	104256  

Help

I completely re-did the map, adjusted the style for a more "in-game" feel and tried to refrain from using any special brushes as to simulate how a cartographer from that world might draw the map.

It would be really nice, if any of you could share some thoughts on the map(s) or maybe point me to especially helpful tutorials that would be relevant.

Thank you!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The World of Relictas - small.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	3.18 MB 
ID:	104575  

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Well, I definitely like the style of the second one better; in fact my only real critique there is that the delicate spidery font you chose doesn't seem to work that well with the bold, thick lines of the map. What kind of cultures are those? You might try something like Dalek or Flat Earth Scribe. Might help balance things out a bit.

Don't be afraid to put big labels on big things. You're using a relatively limited set of type sizes, but you can go bigger on the names of the major landmasses and water areas. And let the labels spread out across the thing they refer to.

Also, most of your mountains come in little clusters. I would consider connecting some of them into ranges.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    the delicate spidery font you chose doesn't seem to work that well with the bold, thick lines of the map. (...) You might try something like Dalek or Flat Earth Scribe. Might help balance things out a bit.
    Oh these are so much better. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Mapsburgh View Post
    Don't be afraid to put big labels on big things. You're using a relatively limited set of type sizes, but you can go bigger on the names of the major landmasses and water areas. And let the labels spread out across the thing they refer to.
    I was afraid of obscuring everything, but looking at it now as a finished picture, I can see that you are right.

Quote Originally Posted by Mapsburgh View Post
    Also, most of your mountains come in little clusters. I would consider connecting some of them into ranges.
    I was unsure how big a mountain range could become. But yeah, looks odd enough that they are basically only two different size categories for mountain ranges.

Guild Apprentice

They can get pretty big/long - Earth as always is your best reference to come to:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...raphic_Map.jpg

Notice how long some of those chains can get. If you have a plate boundary that causes mountains, chances are you'll get them all along it. So go for bigger groupings, it won't look out of place.

Anyway I really like the style you have going on here. I'm especially interested in that circle shaped sea filled with islands. It doesn't look like a natural formation but I think that's a good thing; it makes me wonder what happened to cause it and I think there must be a story behind that.