Thread: Need critique for first map, and help with climate and biomes

Help Need critique for first map, and help with climate and biomes

Hi guys

This is the first map I've drawn in about 10 years, and it's the first one I make digitally, so I'd really appreciate critique and advice!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mappa base 1.png 
Views:	43 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	104479

Plus, I'm struggling with creating realistic climates and biomes, so a little help with that would be really appreciated

these are the winds (the map pictures the northern emisphere only):

Name:	mappa venti.png 
Views:	37 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	104480

I've started coloring a few biomes following the Köppen climate classification, but I really don't know where to begin:

Name:	mappa biomi prova.png 
Views:	38 
Size:	1.68 MB 
ID:	104481

I've read a few tutorials on biomes in worldbuilding, but they all seem a little too theoretical and don't show how to actually decide what climate a precise area should have based on position and mountain coverage

All critique and advice is much welcome! Thanks

I found this tutorial quite interesting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uR4faVCRc6U

It does go into the climate issue around the 1:25 mark on this timelapse video, but he has also uploaded the full length version, so you can see him explaining stuff and working in realtime.

Quote Originally Posted by nopkin View Post
    I found this tutorial quite interesting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uR4faVCRc6U

It does go into the climate issue around the 1:25 mark on this timelapse video, but he has also uploaded the full length version, so you can see him explaining stuff and working in realtime.
    Thanks! I'll give it a look when I'm at home

Just by looking at your map, I see a big problem.

I assume this is a map of one portion of the northern hemisphere, covering the equator to the north pole?
    If yes, the pole is wrong. It should be either land or water, not both.

Quote Originally Posted by Azélor View Post
    Just by looking at your map, I see a big problem.

I assume this is a map of one portion of the northern hemisphere, covering the equator to the north pole?
    If yes, the pole is wrong. It should be either land or water, not both.
    Ah, you're right. When I drew the map I imagined it covering from the equator to a little south from the pole, and have water and ice caps norh of the northernmost island. But then I forgot about it when I drew the latitude lines since they imply that the top corner of the map is the pole.

I'll have to fix it. Thank you