Thread: A map of the world Donne

Map A map of the world Donne

I've been working on this map for quite a long time and finally feel ready to declare it completed. I started Arsheesh's Eriond tutorial and tweaked it with various other tutorials and examples to get the style that I wanted. The mountains gave me the hardest time (I'm still not completely happy with them), but from that difficulty I've developed my own way to make mountains and plan on releasing a tutorial detailing that shortly.
    And yes, the name is a bit of a pun, but it is originally from a 16th century poet.
    CC welcome and appreciated,
    L.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0lG6a9f.jpg 
Views:	297 
Size:	945.4 KB 
ID:	73514

Banned User

Very nice colors! I'll look forward to the tutorial

First off, I'm a noob at maps in the style you used. Just for you to know how to judge my comments.
    A nice map, I really like the ocean because dark blue is my favorite color. The brighter lines in the ocean intend the tectonic borders?
    The coastlines seem somehow fresh and new by which I mean that I can't remember any other continents with a similar shape.
    I also like the style of the rivers.
    I'm a bit confused where all the rivers and lakes in the deserts come from?
    In the desert on the great northwestern continent the lakes have no rivers feeding them and most of the rivers don't spring in a more humid region. So I wonder where the water is coming from if it's a desert?
    The Nile for example gains its water from lakes in the tropic climate where there's lots of rain and then just flows through the Sahara but doesn't spring in the Sahara.
    Maybe the mountains are not perfect as their height ist not as clearly visible as on other maps, yet I think they suffice to show where the mountain ranges are. And they nicely fit with the rivers, so I wouldn't worry about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Eld View Post
    First off, I'm a noob at maps in the style you used. Just for you to know how to judge my comments.
    A nice map, I really like the ocean because dark blue is my favorite color. The brighter lines in the ocean intend the tectonic borders?
    The coastlines seem somehow fresh and new by which I mean that I can't remember any other continents with a similar shape.
    I also like the style of the rivers.
    I'm a bit confused where all the rivers and lakes in the deserts come from?
    In the desert on the great northwestern continent the lakes have no rivers feeding them and most of the rivers don't spring in a more humid region. So I wonder where the water is coming from if it's a desert?
    The Nile for example gains its water from lakes in the tropic climate where there's lots of rain and then just flows through the Sahara but doesn't spring in the Sahara.
    Maybe the mountains are not perfect as their height ist not as clearly visible as on other maps, yet I think they suffice to show where the mountain ranges are. And they nicely fit with the rivers, so I wouldn't worry about them.
    Thanks for the feedback. The rivers and lakes in the desert were probably an oversight of mine; perhaps they could be explained by springs or great salt-lakes and such, but really without them the map would be left with great big flat splotches; someting I haven't quite figured out how to get around yet.