Thread: How do I decide on a continent size?

Post How do I decide on a continent size?

So I'm working on a map for a new world I'm creating, and I have no idea how big to make the main continent. My world has some other ones as well, but I'm not focusing on them (at least for the time being).

I have a few important landmarks and cities that I have decided the distances between, and I have a scale (I've been sketching my map by hand, so my scale is 10 miles = 1cm), but I have no idea what size would be reasonable for the continent.

I also feel like a lot hinges on this, because the people in this world use horses as their main mode of transportation, and so I haven't been able to decide if this is a continentalized place, which holds me back on developing the inter-kingdom political relations and a bunch of other stuff.

Are there any tips or,,, like guidelines or something that I can use to help me decide on a general continent size (like how wide the widest point is or how long it is)??

Thanks!

ETA: I'm not even sure if I should start on a planetary scale first and determine how big my planet is/what water:land I want/etc, or if I'm being too unrealistic re: my level of ability and where I should be starting.
    Last edited by berg; 01-25-2014 at 03:57 PM.

Hi Berg,
    Check out this tool: ORBIS
    It is a generator of travel times of the ancient Roman empire and allows you to check how far distances would take to travel by foot, boat and horseback (plus a few other options) I've found it quite helpful in the past myself.
    Last edited by Viking; 01-25-2014 at 04:37 PM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Finished Maps: Skenth - Prints Available!
    Works in Progress: Arinthia - region of Skenth

Need something commissioned? Send me a message!

That's really cool, thank you!

I think it will be useful for me as well.

I checked Orbis too. Very good tool, by the way. Thanks.