Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Crown Colonies

I'm calling this map done! I decided not to do an ornate border, there should be enough illustrative quality in the map itself without going overboard. For a compass rose, I opted to combine rhumb lines, and used Latin abbreviated cardinal directions: North - Borealis (Bor), South - Australis (Aus), East - Orientalis (Ori), and West - Occidentalis (Occ). For scale I chose Pretannic miles and that can mean whatever you want.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crown-colonies-final.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	61491
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Well done! I really like hand drawn cartouche. Not too keen on the colour of the mountain symbols (too dark/heavy for me) and the nodes on the rivers could use some cleaning up in places (I have the exact same issues with Serif Drawplus). I really like the overall look and feel of it though - it's got character.

Thanks, Ravs. Kind of funny, I darkened up those mountain symbols because Max thought they were too light... I tried cleaning up the nodes as I was labeling around them, but didn't get them all, I see.

For the cartouche, I drew the left half only, with the crown on top. Then I duplicated the half cartouche, flipped it horizontally, lined up both crowns to match, then deleted the crown from the right side. I drew the native warrior and the colonist separately then combined them with the cartouche. It was a fun experiment, that I'm sure to do again some time.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123