Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WIP:Blackross

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Journeyer

Wip WIP:Blackross

Here is the latest for the fictional Irish Plantation town Blackross I am drawing for commission.

Blackross will be mapped in the present day, but in a black and white turn-of-the century Ordinance style. I have added some temporary coloring to the buildings and water for clarity. It is at the point where most of the important elements are present to one degree or another. Big items still missing are trees, labels, and the border/framing elements. Street layout and building mix have primarily been chosen by the client.

The northern edge and circular town-center are still unfinished, but hopefully they should be filled out soon. Other known issues are perhaps a little too much regularity in lot size and housing layout. I get the feeling that adding the trees may soften things a little.

Comments/critiques/suggestions are always welcome!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blackross2-1.gif 
Views:	477 
Size:	3.12 MB 
ID:	61394

Guild Journeyer

Hello:
    At first glance it looks good. At second glance it looks good. I agree about the lot sizes. There are very few cities that I know of that have uniformed lot sizes. I did not see any parks, or I missed them. I do like it.

Thanks for posting.
    Tracker

There's a park where the lake is on the top left, but most of the park features (like trees and ponds and park lanes) have yet to be added, as Redkettle mentioned in his post. I tried clicking on the image, but it's coming up blank, or it's not loading, is that happening for you too?

Blog Entries

Not loading for me either
    Have you "liked" a post today?

Loaded for me and it's pretty badass. It's a shame you guys are missing out :p

I live the detail you have going on. To me the lot sizes seem fine, they seem like natural allotments that one would find in a city of this sort. I'm looking forwards to the development.

Blog Entries

Had to load it in a different browser

I don't think the lot sizes are a big problem. You said it's an older map style, but a more modern time, yes?

Lots are irregular in old places for 2 reasons: 1) they grow, organically, and 2) lack of tools/equipment to move through the land instead of *with* it.

Modern times/planned cities can eliminate a lot of this irregularity.
    In fact, in some places the lot sizes might be regulated... *required* to be a certain size.

I give you 2 cities:

Quincy Il (large town/small city): Laid out in a very precise grid for most of the city.

A precise 12 blocks to a mile, except in the college area, throughout the city. Each "lot" size (individual houses/yards) regulated due to post office/fire department zoning requirements, until you get to the nicer areas

Indianapolis, IN (Metropolis): Similar grid pattern, distorted for larger buildings, and around a central "circle". The most variation is around freeways, parks, and of course the speedway, and further out toward the suburbs.

So, I don't think lot size is an issue at all.

Also, I like the detail
    Have you "liked" a post today?

The lots look like the typical gardens you'd find in english and irish towns accompanying terraced and semi-detached housing so they look fine to me.

Agreed. This is a very good map, and a very convincing town plan (including lot sizes), given its modern context.

Very nice, I like the town plan.

If you ask me, that map is pretty darn awesome.

And even if you don't ask me, it's still awesome.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast