Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A tidally locked planet

I understood that the stop was relatively sudden and I supposed it took less than a day to completely stop the planet...

Temperature variation would be around 10-50 Celsius per day I expect. If Amazonia was on the dark-side for example, the temperatures would go from 30 degree to less than zero in less than 24h. We both live in Nordic countries where extreme weather occurs from time to time. A 10-20 degree change is nothing exceptional in less than 24h but think about what would happen if it was -20 degree everyday. And if it was -50 degree or more...

I looked at the numbers and some place are worst than others. In the desert, the difference between day and night can be quite high (around 30 according to wikipedia: Diurnal temperature variation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
    But it's possible to have higher variations. I know the Chinook is just a wind but it help to get an idea of the maximum variation in a day : Chinook wind - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I like you map. I do think the band in the middle is too large but after all, this is art and not science.

Blog Entries

That looks awesome.

(And I love your working title )

I think the week thing... I mean, if you stop something that's moving (just tried it with an old baby toy with a spinning ball on top) suddenly, it jerks.

If you put your finger on something to stop it slowly (like one of those pinwheel toys) it stops in a series of jerks.

No big deal if what you're messing with is a toy... what's a little shaking?

But picture that planet grinding to a stop... you're shaking the world.

So each time you shake it, buildings will fall, or tidal waves or tsunamis or... whatever.

Well we can survive a disaster. And another right after... well, lots of dead, but people are resourceful, right? And then another and another and another and another ...

yeah after too many of those in one short time frame, might be no one would survive. I can see how "suddenly" might have to be reeeeaaaally sudden.

I can also see how, if the stop was really gradual, like hundreds of years, it would be survivable then too...

Of course this is all me "supposing" and playing with baby toys, so...
    Have you "liked" a post today?

I don't think this situation would be compatible with life. First of all, there would be no atmosphere or water because there would be very little gravity. Secondly, there would be only a very thin zone where plant life could live and photosynthesize...so there would be not much oxygen.

But it would be a perfect planet for sand monsters and ice monster to live, and engage in intense battles in the twilight zone.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Azelor: Ah, that's true! Temperatures can shift very quickly. So, referring to my 3-step process, you're saying that the steps would be reached within a few days of each other? That does make sense. There are some factors that would counter it though. The heating would make a massive cloud cover over the dayside, which would reflect a lot of sunlight and slow that down a bit. And the strong winds would carry a lot of heat to the nightside. Salt water also has a lower freezing point than 0 C, but that's a minor thing here. Anyway, you are probably right that everything would happen much quicker than I figured. Hm… I guess my characters will just have to come up with a solution quicker, too.

Jalyha: Haha, thanks, I'm happy with the title too! I felt so creative, you know, I got this flow, the words just poured out into geniality and… Uh… Anyway. You've got a point about the jerking. When I said sudden, I was thinking of natural causes for tidal locking, and that it would be sudden compared to that. I was actually imagining a year or so, of days slowly getting longer. First, none would notice, but then clocks don't match up with the sun anymore, and everyone winds their clocks back at the same time… thinking of some kind of prologue here But it might have to be quicker, as this kind of stopping would eventually give extremely long days and nights and no twilight zone to escape into, and probably kill everything on the planet. So maybe… a month? I really want the slowing day-night cycle, for dramatic effect…!

Xotoxi: Not sure what you mean about no gravity? Gravity has nothing to do with rotation, only with mass. The Moon is tidally locked to Earth, which doesn't make a difference for its gravity, for example. You have an excellent point about the oxygen production though. Not only would the atmosphere get thinner because it's sucked to the nightside, it's also become less and less breathable. Oooh, so many problems for my inhabitants… I love it Not planning to make this story about monster battles, but I guess some interesting creatures would evolve if the planet somehow remained livable for long enough!

Quote Originally Posted by Lingon View Post
    I'm not sure if you mean anything specific with the overlay? I will show the ice cap somehow, probably by just not painting anything there
    Not to tell you how to do your own map, but I think you could do an interesting ice cap if you look at what you have already (mountain ranges and seas) and compare that to Antarctica, for example. Considering how much of your world would be covered in ice it might be more interesting to give that blank area a little detail.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Kokor, please do tell me how to do my map! I appreciate all feedback and suggestions. You're absolutely right, a large ice cap on varied terrain could look very interesting with the right treatment. I'll do my best

I just got a couple of commissions that I need to focus on for a week or two, then I'll begin with the hand painted version of this one

The heating will be much more dramatic at the center of the daylight zone. Near the twilight zone, it would be slower and some places would have a stable, livable temperature.

Quote Originally Posted by Lingon View Post
    Xotoxi: Not sure what you mean about no gravity? Gravity has nothing to do with rotation, only with mass. The Moon is tidally locked to Earth, which doesn't make a difference for its gravity, for example. You have an excellent point about the oxygen production though. Not only would the atmosphere get thinner because it's sucked to the nightside, it's also become less and less breathable. Oooh, so many problems for my inhabitants… I love it Not planning to make this story about monster battles, but I guess some interesting creatures would evolve if the planet somehow remained livable for long enough!
    Good point about the gravity. I was thinking that the spinning was needed for gravity, but of course I was wrong.

This is an interesting article I found about tidally locked planets.

Dark Side of the Earth: What would happen if our planet became tidally locked?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123