Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fantasy Regional Map for a Campaign

Ok I played around with that tutorial you suggested, after a few basic coloring bits, basically just the shading of the ocean, and applying my desired parchment texture, complete with stain rings, I wound up with this so far. What do you think?

Fair warning, it is now almost 5x the original resolution. I followed the tutorial's advice and raised it to print quality resolution.
    Last edited by damonmensch; 02-16-2014 at 11:09 AM.

Very nice, though I miss your original elements, you had some very nice ones. No need to go co pletely by a tutorial but it certainly has some elements that are improving your hand drawn look. I'd either darken the oceans a bit more or make your parchment texture a touch more transparent as I am losing the edges a bit in the shadowed section. Definitely looking like an old inked map now.

Oh I'll be putting those elements back in, I like those a lot. Just wanted to fix this part up first.

Ok elements are back, slightly changed a bit with a few new ones. Also added a touch more color.

Guild Novice

That looks absolutely beautiful... 0o I was going to comment earlier that the texturing you had on the non-mountain parts seemed weird, but I didn't have time and then you made it look totally amazing while I played games ^^ how did you do those mountains? Did you draw them by hand or software?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyx View Post
    That looks absolutely beautiful... 0o I was going to comment earlier that the texturing you had on the non-mountain parts seemed weird, but I didn't have time and then you made it look totally amazing while I played games ^^ how did you do those mountains? Did you draw them by hand or software?
    I can't take all the credit, I used some brush sets in photoshop.

Full list of the brush packs I used:

Looks good.
    - You might want to lower the paper texture effect just a bit.
    - And then there is the coastline and the rivers: Fly along the coast and check the parts manually, there are some places where you should go over with eraser and brush. For example the mouth of the southern of the two rivers in the middle.
    - The great chasm and the desert could use a minimal blur Gausian blur 0.3 pixel, or something. and overall, there is some style break between the coasts and rivers and the iconograpy. Sadly there, I have the same problem and don't really know a good solution for that, either.

First of all this is great.

Anyways, the one thing I can say is you might want to make the 'elements' (mountains/chasm/forest/etc.) a little lighter to make the m blend in better. To make it look like it' drawn on the paper instead of on top of paper, if you see what I mean.

... It's not that the elements don't already look that way, but there's a bit of a disparity between them and some of your lighter lines, like the coast.

Quote Originally Posted by Maraxus_ View Post
    - And then there is the coastline and the rivers: Fly along the coast and check the parts manually, there are some places where you should go over with eraser and brush. For example the mouth of the southern of the two rivers in the middle.
    That particular river is actually flowing into a series of lakes, and not directly into the coast. The lakes are just relatively close the shore line. In fact only the river just north of that one is flowing directly into the ocean itself. All the others flow into lakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoopz View Post
    Anyways, the one thing I can say is you might want to make the 'elements' (mountains/chasm/forest/etc.) a little lighter to make the m blend in better. To make it look like it' drawn on the paper instead of on top of paper, if you see what I mean.

... It's not that the elements don't already look that way, but there's a bit of a disparity between them and some of your lighter lines, like the coast.
    Personally I kind of like that the elements are darker than the coastline. It makes them pop out a little more. Also due to there being colors, it does stand to reason the the original drawer, or drawers, used a different color ink for said elements.

Ok on this next one I put back in the compass, also added the cities, and their trade routes. As well as the names of said cities and the more important (at least for the campaign) locations.

I have decided to name this continent, the southern most one on the planet, S'ira. Also if anyone is confused the text is all written in the character set of one of the more prominent languages in the area, which since this is a Final Fantasy based campaign, is Al Bhed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12