Thread: The Coast With No Name (a hexmap sandbox)

Guild Journeyer

Wip The Coast With No Name (a hexmap sandbox)

This is the current map from my recently started sandbox project. A while back I built a set of random tables to generate hex maps on the fly, intending them as a game aid for running hexmap / sandbox RPGs. The goal was to produce interesting and playable maps with a nod to, if not realistic, at least somewhat sensible terrain. The tables fill in empty hexes based on the surrounding terrain, and then fill in content detail with a series of additional feature tables. I've decided to work over these tables again, and I started this mapping project as a sort of test bed for the process.

This is the current map, after fully generating all terrain.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GRMap047.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	401.4 KB 
ID:	61561

Hexes are 36 / 6 miles across the flats. I built this in two stages, rolling up all the large hexes, and then subdividing and rolling all the small hexes, using the large hex terrain as a starting point. This is the underlying large hex map (the codes refer to the underlying terrain type for table purposes).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GRMap014.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	411.5 KB 
ID:	61564

I ended up tweaking about 5% of the hexes, mostly to deal with the islands, and the inland lakes. There are a couple spots that ended up a little weird, like the lake next to the desert in the north, and a couple forest / desert hexes that probably need adjustment, but overall the terrain layout... isn't terrible.

My next step is to start filling in the hex features, which includes settlements, rivers, roads, and assorted dungeons and special sites. I haven't quite figured out how I'm going to drive that yet, but I'm thinking about making a bit of a game out of it, treating this area as virgin territory, and sending in various waves of settlers / invaders / explorers to develop the content.

I also really need to name it at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by mthomas768 View Post

I also really need to name it at some point.

Actually, I rather like the name you gave it... The Coast With No Name. Real air of mystery there. Why doesn't it have a name? Did it have a name once, but the name became forbidden to speak aloud? I think you've accidentally named it perfectly.

Very nice idea for generating a hex map.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh