Thread: Nordlath - Viking Themed D&D Map in progress

Wip Nordlath - Viking Themed D&D Map in progress

OK, I posted the CC3 and Photoshop version of this one over in the introductions, this one is based on that map but done using Jeremy Elford's tutorial (and RobA's Predifined Edges technique). It has been good fun and I am learning quite a bit as I go.

Overall I am happy with how it is shaping up, but I would happily ask for ideas for adding the large forests, hills and mountains to the map. I think I can use simple icons for the cities, towns and ruins and I may make a parchment version for the players with hand drawn details, but this one seems to call out for semi-photorealistic details. I will plow through the tutorials, but am happy to have any ideas anyone has or any other criticism you all have. I trust my work on photos, but I am not as sure with my eye for raw graphics like this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nordlath II Base Colored Step Two copy.jpg 
Views:	316 
Size:	396.1 KB 
ID:	5588  

Wip Update

Ok, as I continue to play and learn I have tried the same map as a 'hand drawn' map. There is a lot I don't like here, but it is all layers so I can update as I have time. I have been playing with making my own fill brushes and as you can see I didn't have the spacing down as well as I thought, but I think I have it figured out now so I should be able to clean it up some. Anyway, I don't think this is earthshaking or anything, but as I comment on others maps it is only fair that you can see where I am at in my own learning. This is good fun and I am running through parts of Photoshop that were well and truly dusty before I started plugging away at it.

Name:	Nordlath II Base Parchment with Cities and Labels copy.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	397.6 KB 
ID:	5683  

I like this one a lot better than the other. The only thing that I am not sure of, is the trees and the way that they overlap. I don't know if I like the way that some get darker as the overlap more.

I missed the brush spacing on the trees and mountains so they overlap too much, I couldn't figure out the spacing in the menu options at first as the brush tip options didn't have a click box next to it so I didn't try clicking on it. Happily everything is on its own layer so I will be able to clean it up easily enough tonight when I get an hour or so.

Oh, i really like the style of your second map. The font, the mountains and the trees...really like them. If you can solve the overlapping thing, this will be an outstanding map!
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

The second one has a "stark" look to it, which I beleive is fitting.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

The overlapping happens because of the brush used, Photoshop treats white or light gray parts as transparent or semi transparent. In pencil mode it hardens these grays up (making them opaque or transparent - no in between). So the quick fix is to use the brush tip shape as a pencil instead of a brush. This, of course, produces other aesthetic problems since the pencil style doesn't always look as nice. Another option is to increase the spacing up to 100-125% so that there is no overlap unless you physically draw over the top of already existing trees. Third option is to lay out some trees and turn it into a pattern instead of a brush and then you can draw in a shape and then put the pattern on top.

ps, I love Tyrdrakken, reminds me of something John Madden would name his city
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Journeyer

I'd go with either the pencil method on a separate layer so it's easy to blur it slightly to manually give it some anti-aliasing, or a pattern with a layer mask.

Map Complete

Ok, I am going to call this one complete and move on. There is still a lot I am not thrilled with. I am still learning artistic brushes and the mismatch between some objects is mostly down to that, but overall I think this will do fine for the kids game. Learned a lot on this, hopefully the learning will stick and the next one will be better. Thanks for the help and tips so far, I will happily take feedback on this one even though I am unlikely to come back to it soon.

Name:	Nordlath-II-Base-Parchment-with-Cities-and-Labels-Copy-for-Export.jpg 
Views:	1483 
Size:	1.65 MB 
ID:	5785